Area Organisers

andybeau

Expected to do all of the boring jobs that no-one else wants to do, be at meetings first, leave last, entertain everyone throughout, maintain order, sort the finances / food / venue / events / weather, organise shows and events that no-one will confirm that they can attend, organise meals for twenty that only ten arrive at, answer millions of e-mails that all start with 'Why?' have your phone with you at all times, have the patience of a Saint, especially when trying to explain why the guy who expected to win the Car of Show Trophy, didn't, and the mind of Sherlock Holmes to detect where everyone went who said they'd help, but disappeared immediately something needed doing. Otherwise, it's rewarding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I pursuaded someone else to write the notes each month as I kept forgetting.

We meet at the same pub each month so that is sorted.

I haven't had an email or a phone call for 5 years now I reckon, could even be more, forums have sorted that.

Ought to organise something I suppose.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Expected to do all of the boring jobs that no-one else wants to do, be at meetings first, leave last, entertain everyone throughout, maintain order, sort the finances / food / venue / events / weather, organise shows and events that no-one will confirm that they can attend, organise meals for twenty that only ten arrive at, answer millions of e-mails that all start with 'Why?' have your phone with you at all times, have the patience of a Saint, especially when trying to explain why the guy who expected to win the Car of Show Trophy, didn't, and the mind of Sherlock Holmes to detect where everyone went who said they'd help, but disappeared immediately something needed doing. Otherwise, it's rewarding.

That sounds about right, associations here work incthe same way plus if you are late arriving at the AGM you find you have been elected president/treasurer/secretary. 😒

• Haha 1

you  can do as much or as little as you are able to contribute  

I collect emails and circulate what  we plan through the season   the pub meets can be a problem  we often get 20+ and finding a pub witha room to use is hard going 

we manage as an area to Run our Duxford event   we have funds that help with this

generated from event profits and a raffle at the pub  

i am supported by a small group of members who take on odd drives and runs or look out for events   so many hands help 

recent years we have done a drive to a establishment each month   any local classic events are left to DIY yourselves 

so it all down to preference in arranging drives etc  do what you like makes it easier as the area grows help can be pressganged to assist 

it doesnt all have to sit on your shoulders 

team work   !!!!   works 

I  dont  do any   FB   just e mails or you can make  it full time job keeping thing upto date ( i have a member who updates our area FB page )

the area news can be as long or short as you like  some dont do one some are injected with a gramaphone needle 

news can be short and simple or a full blog on someone blown his tryes up  its just a monthly task which you can make easy or a life story 

down to you to only do what you fancy , when its up and you get support  spread the work out 

if its a new area dont expect a flood of members on the first night  it takes a bit of work and time to make it successful

its what  you put into it that gives you the what you get out of it  , labour of love   maybe not .

the excitement of arranging things and you get 20 cars on a follow me run  

makes the smile 

Pete

• Like 1

19 hours ago, andybeau said:

What's involved and expected?

Thanks in advance

I did the AO job for a good few years. 

Realistically you are expected to write a monthly report. I always kept it fairly short, maybe where people were going (eg spares day, shows etc) and where we were meeting. 

I never organised a stand at a show, but many do.

A Christmas meal is not too much grief to sort out, but keep any money collecting records transparent. 

Never had an issue with pubs, but we were low maintenance, just asked if the pub was happy and all was well. Most like to have 10-20 people turn up midweek, as they are often quiet nights. Especially if people sometimes eat as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2021 at 20:30, Colin Lindsay said:

Colin - That is the same with any voluntary organisation. There is a saying.."some will, some won't, so what...next....."

AGM? 

our area, we bully/bribe somebody into the job, usually for a few years. And offer sacrifices to the gods that by the time they step down we have somebody turn up who is keen to do the job. Worked for the last 30 years.... New blood for this coming year.

But we do have low expectations of them, in that we do not bleat on about them organising stuff. They just need to scrawl a few words most months.

AGM?

Old AO Mark said "I'm off to the North, who want's the job? Decide while I get a drink"

When he returned, some were outside looking at motors, some were chatting to the Sunbeam Club at the other end of the pub and the rest hid in the loo.

"Ah! Ha!" said Mark "It's you then!"

Doug

Hereabouts we don't have an "area" the nearest being North Yorks. Well over an hours drive for me. So I guess not a material fact. But having "done time" on Caravan section committees in the past, there seems to be a "Hard Core" with a need for "organisation" those who will, and those who wont, or have to be pressed. I`m very much afraid that in later life I`ve become one of the latter. One has to have appreciation though for those who do take up volunteer posts.

Pete