Temperature guage & recommended operating temp/heater

77spitfire1500

Two parts to this question:

(1) I've just had some wiring fixed around the Kenlowe electric fan (on my 1977 Spitfire 1500) and I'm wondering if the electrician has set it up to kick in early enough - the temp guage now shows just over three quarters before the fan kicks in. It then runs until the guage shows just below three quarters. It used to kick in just above half way on the guage and that was good for peace of mind. But maybe it's fine for the engine temperature to sit at around three quarters?

(2) When I was in traffic yesterday I tried to dissapate a bit of heat by opening up the heater in cabin, but then I realised I don't REALLY know how the heater works - for the left knob the labels from left to right are "CAR DEFROST FULL MAX OFF"

"Defrost" and "Off" are pretty obvious, but the others are more ambiguous! Can anyone elighten me?? (The other knob on the right is obviously just a temperature slider!).

Cheers!

the one on the right directs heat to screen or footwells. And if you pull the knob (easy Pete!) out it turns the heater fan on. Should be 2 stage.

As to temp gauge, just turn the thermostat down a bit if you don't like it. Worrying you need to turn the heater on to cool the car though. Is teh fan really close (as in few mm) from the rad? it needs to be to get the full effect otherwise much of the air just goes sideways and does no cooling. Ideally it wants to be in a shroud (do-able but easiest to pinch one off a modern car!)

the one on the right directs heat to screen or footwells. And if you pull the knob (easy Pete!) out it turns the heater fan on. Should be 2 stage.

He means the left knob, of course!

So, "CAR" sends air to footwells only (well, just a dribble to the screen), "DEFROST" is screen only. The next should read "PULL MAX" and, as Clive says, you can pull the left knob in any position to switch on the fan - first half and further for full speed. You know what "OFF" does!!!

A classic "Gotcha" in our cars is the heat doesn't come on, either because the valve is gummed up or because the cable is stiff and the outer "expands" rather than pushing the valve (forgotten if this is GT6 or Spit). Or... you can't switch the heat OFF because of expanding cable syndrome (Spit has a different sense to GT6 i.e. push is "ON" with one and "OFF" with the other). I mention this because I'm guessing you tried various combinations and got no heat. If so, lift the bonnet and visually check the action of the valve.

Cheers, Richard

Oops....well spotted! like to keep you on your toes! Brain thinking of too much at once, and worried about Pete.........

And I need to investigate my heater, no matter what you get air blowing out the passenger footwell. Hopefully I can free the flap up, or whatever. Rest works perfectly. Just hope I don't need to change the heater, that is a pain.