Spitfire 1500, Diff drain.

GHILA

I have just added a differential drain plug to my 1980 Spitfire 1500. I only had 1/8" BSP taps available so that what I used. Might be considered a bit small, but I considered that I would not be draining on a regular basis so would be acceptable. When you think the oil in there had been in for at least 42 years, as I don't  have the cars history.

Drilled small 3mm hole removed filler/top up plug and drained oil out, after some days drilled and tapped bottom of casing with 1/8" BSP thread and plugged.

DIFF_1.jpg

DIFF_2.jpg

eons ago I did my Vitesse but at the time late 70's I only had UNF taps so I tapped 5/16UNF as I had a brass plug of that size, now I'm better equipped and have 3/8in NPT and BSP taps and dies so I should probably redo it preferably BSP as it's not a tapered tap. It makes you feel better being able to drain the oil out at decent intervals.

1 hour ago, GHILA said:

No it is an 1/8" BSP, use a taper plug, the size is around 10mm OD. (3/8" in Old fashioned)

Is that the same size as the sump and gearbox drains? Making all the drains the same size means that you should always have a spare plug...... somewhere

5 hours ago, Badwolf said:

s that the same size as the sump and gearbox drains? Making all the drains the same size means that you should always have a spare plug...... somewhere

That's ideal. With my ltd experience of thread cutting, I would go small, so more chance of rectifying. Even so can't bring myself to have a go.

Car only does low/laid back mileage anyway, so have just syringed out, most of old oil on occasion  

No its not the same as sump and gearbox, its smaller. I would guess they are around 1/2" BSP. To estimate BSP sizes which are based upon pipe size. eg 1/8 BSP + 1/4 = around 3/8* (10mm) OD. Therefore 1/2" BSP generally called 1/2" pipe when I was a lad are around 3/4" OD. Check these sizes on a thread chart.

On 15/01/2022 at 20:47, Peter Truman said:

eons ago I did my Vitesse but at the time late 70's I only had UNF taps so I tapped 5/16UNF as I had a brass plug of that size, now I'm better equipped and have 3/8in NPT and BSP taps and dies so I should probably redo it preferably BSP as it's not a tapered tap. It makes you feel better being able to drain the oil out at decent intervals.

You can't get tapered taps, you have to drill and tap parallel and use tapered plugs.

On 16/01/2022 at 18:32, daverclasper said:

That's ideal. With my ltd experience of thread cutting, I would go small, so more chance of rectifying. Even so can't bring myself to have a go.

Car only does low/laid back mileage anyway, so have just syringed out, most of old oil on occasion  

If we were 300 miles closer I would do it for you.

I brought a suction pump here in Aus think Aldi I found that none of the suction tubes would fit down the moderns dip stick hole as modern dip sticks and very small in dia didn’t work on daughters Commodore and Mazda.

also with the gearbox and diff it may be difficult to navigate thro the fill plug and swing thro 90 degrees to get down into the oil to many internal obstructions gears etc in the way

Evening all! Rather late in the conversation but I'm just sorting the garage at our new home and thought I'd post this pic of the drain I added to both the old (while on the car) and new (when off the car) diffs off my Spit 1500. (This is the old diff.) It's basically a shortened 5/16" UNF set screw with a thick washer and ptfe washer underneath. Drilling and tapping the cast iron was straightforward, it's good material to work with and both castings had a convenient dimple as a drilling point with the casting being plenty thick enough. I haven't had any problems with them. Hope this helps! Derek.

20220122_192527.jpg

• Like 2

thats better  , technology is a wonderful thing  when it works 

bring back true print  and the duplicate book

we waited nearly an hour for a lunch when the printer in the cafe kitchen had run out of till roll . no one new this  ....so it never arrived 

the best bit the refund was more than the till price as the refund techy couldnt get round the club card discount(we received but dont belong)  so techy won me £6 

Pete