GT6 Mk3 Brake Bleeding

Stratton Jimmer

Page 51 of the owners handbook (Publication Part No 545186 2nd edition) tells how to bleed the brakes but starts with the nearside front then the offside front then nearside rear and finally offside rear. I have always been under the impression that bleeding was done starting with the cylinder furthest from the master cylinder and working back towards it. The Haynes book also says this is correct - furthest away first. Which is correct?

it doesnt really matter  these ideas come from its an answer to a question  

someone asks which way and to solve the conundrum you get clues  

down to preference and base it on how best you get bled 

i will just add keep the catch jar up higher than the wheels 

foot down fast and back slow  if you have enough hands  a nip of the nipple after the down stroke to open ready for the next down 

its worked fine like this for Years  and Years 

without any fancy goodies to aid 

if you plug the end of the bleed tube and add a knifed slit about 25mm long it will act as a valve   in the catch jar 

Pete

Thanks Pete, I used your high catch jar technique and it is definitely better than having the jar resting on the deck. That was a new one on me but I see the benefit. I have a bleed tube with a one way valve built in these days but used to have a slitted one which I lost somewhere down the line.

Yeh, 

I wash my tube, gives the home brew a funny taste if you don't.

I always start at the driver's side rear. I figure more fluid will wind up in the jar doing the longest run first and then the tube will below the fluid level in the jar.  This means I don't have to elevate the jar and  I have 2 or 3 seconds to get to the valve and close it before air works it's way up the tube.

Elevating the jar is a good idea, but where do you balance/wedge it, particularly on a GT6 AND considering it's full of paint stripper?

Fast down slow up.

Doug

10 minutes ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

I like the sound of Dot xxx though!

That'll be DOT XXXX. The 'XXXX' bit refers to what you say when you try to stop, and nothing happens.

It's funny but they say you can't compress a liquid; so how come after four pints I go to the loo and it's nowhere near half a gallon?

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Anything I could display would be miniscule in proportion to him. (only to HIM, mind.)

He does it so often and so publicly that I once changed the name on his stable from Dancer to Dangler.

Found the previous quote on another thread. Seems a little appropriate!!