Fitting accu-form dash top to Spitfire

cliff.b

I have just bought one of these as unused old stock and noticed a sticker on the back saying "must be fitted as per instruction or damage will result".

Unfortunately, there aren't any instructions so wondering if anyone has fitted one of these and can advise on how it should be done?

4 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Quite a lot if you do an interweb search.  I'm sure you will find something. Where did you get it from...or shouldn't I ask!!!

Found this, don't know if it's relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SuffGjIsIc

Ok, thanks, I will check it out.

Was just from someone who is currently rebuilding their own Spitfire selling it privately.

I didn't use any sealants etc when I did my mkIV spitfire. I found I had to trim the original dash pad at the front to have enough space to get it under the screen seal (I really didn't want to push it in too hard for fear of damage) and that meant taking the dash pad off, though in situ trimming may have been possible.

There are a few areas where it is off the old dashpad and can be felt when prssed, so a bit of silicone would add support, but I don't see I will have any issues, nobody goes round banging dash tops. Looks smart too, I am very pleased with mine.

16 minutes ago, clive said:

I didn't use any sealants etc when I did my mkIV spitfire. I found I had to trim the original dash pad at the front to have enough space to get it under the screen seal (I really didn't want to push it in too hard for fear of damage) and that meant taking the dash pad off, though in situ trimming may have been possible.

There are a few areas where it is off the old dashpad and can be felt when prssed, so a bit of silicone would add support, but I don't see I will have any issues, nobody goes round banging dash tops. Looks smart too, I am very pleased with mine.

How does it seat against the dashboard? 

15 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Cliff.b - Can you post a picture please.

I haven't tried to fit it yet but this pic shows it sitting roughly in place. Trying to work out if the edge of that lip sits against the dashboard or best to fit it when the dash is out and butt the dash up against it from underneath IMG_20220117_112435_170.thumb.jpg.f53f2833978d08e938759210fc05b300.jpg

5 hours ago, cliff.b said:

best to fit it when the dash is out and butt the dash up against it from underneath 

That's what I'd do. The wooden dash is the front panel so to speak, and will fit under the lower edge of the dashtop cover more neatly than trying to fit the cover round the dash.

14 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's what I'd do. The wooden dash is the front panel so to speak, and will fit under the lower edge of the dashtop cover more neatly than trying to fit the cover round the dash.

The plastic cover does not reach as far as teh wooden dash. It means if you stick your head in a footwell and look up, you can see a 10mm? gap all te way along. In use, you just do not notice it. Designed to not interfere with the dash removal etc, so makes no difference.

I may get enthusiastic and take a picture later.

how do the air vents line up? the PO of the daughters Mk2 Spit covered the dash with vinyl, quite professionally such that we've left it, its neatly folded at the ends and no creases, but he didn't cut the demister vents out as I found out one wet day, not so easy to cut when dash is fitted! 

34 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

how do the air vents line up? the PO of the daughters Mk2 Spit covered the dash with vinyl, quite professionally such that we've left it, its neatly folded at the ends and no creases, but he didn't cut the demister vents out as I found out one wet day, not so easy to cut when dash is fitted! 

Perfect when I did mine.

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

Hi Guys,

Need a new dash top for my Spit Mk3 1967 and saw item 

194505352449 on ebay. (Don't know how to do an actual link, stupid I know!)

Is it the same product as the above? If not does anybody know anything about it and do they fit properly?

Cheers

That one appears to be more of a replacement dash pad, though not clear if it is padded. The ones above are a very thin ridgid plastic cover, so the original dash pad stays in place. 

Worth noting that ebay one is not for a mkIV spit.

Thanks Clive,

I need a complete replacement as mine was destroyed by the body shop. I was looking on Ebay for one to renovate but none appeared for a Mk3 so this looks like my best bet. Thanks for confirming that it is not for a Mk4 as I was worried the vent positions may be wrong if it was.

Cheers

8 hours ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

Thanks Clive,

I need a complete replacement as mine was destroyed by the body shop. I was looking on Ebay for one to renovate but none appeared for a Mk3 so this looks like my best bet. Thanks for confirming that it is not for a Mk4 as I was worried the vent positions may be wrong if it was.

Cheers

MkIV is a smooth/continious slight curve, but possible the vents are shared position? 

May be worth double checking with the supplier.