Refitted Diff and chassis relative to body tub.

Neil Clark

I bought my accident damaged Mk1 Spitfire (it had just been expensively restored before the crash) and it came with a restored chassis from another car.  The tub is completely undamaged and so, (with reinforcement bars fitted in the door gaps) the tub was lifted off the damaged chassis and it dropped perfectly onto the replacement chassis.  All the locating bolts slotted in really easily to their holes, front and back.

The diff was put into the "new" chassis and secured prior to replacing the body.  It is the later diff type.  Then everything else connected with suspension and body bolted up very easily.  The issue I seem to have is that the rear wheels look to be offset about 1/2" towards the nearside of the car now that the body is in place.  The car drives without any tendency I can note to "crab".

Is there any lateral adjustment possible within the chassis of the rear suspension / diff assembly? - I can't see anything in the manuals that suggest there might be.  So I suspect that the issue is a slight misalignment of the old body tub relative to the new chassis.

Or am I faced with simply loosening off the body securing bolts and tweaking the tub position on the chassis?

Thank you Nick.  I remember those now!  Of course I've put the fuel tank back but it's only got a little fuel in it and I can syphon that out easily to take it out again.  Hoping the paint shop delivers on their promise to do it this month so that I can make progress!