Vitesse front brake pads

Robin

Colin,

My apologies.    I failed to indicate that my comments on asbestosis were for anyone who advocated using NOS asbestos brake pads, taking precautions to protect yourself when today the problem is more a public health one.

Peaks,

As I said, mesothelioma is exclusively related to asbestos exposure, and it still occurs, presumably to asbestos in the environment, but it is very difficult to pinpoint the exposure as it can occur many years later.   Roy Castle died of a lung cancer exclusively associated with smoking but was a life-long non-smoker and anti-smoking activist, because of other people's smoke - we shouldn't risk other people by using banned brake discs.

John

John, my point was that brake linings were exclusively asbestos up until the 1980's, and then gradually phased out. However, you, me, and countless millions of people "exposed" to them have not developed any related ill health. Agreed some may have, but the HSE document was clear that mechanics had a low incidence of aabestos related disease, and they were up close and personal with the stuff every day for many years.

If we stop using anything that has been proved to be dangerous, we would not be driving our cars. Or probably any cars. Nor living in our houses (note, asbestos in pre 1990's artex, something people readily scrape and sand above their heads etc and any normal dust mask will do nothing to protect you from the harmful fibres, they are too small and require an electron microscope to see them. The larger fibres which we used to test for and can see with a normal microscope are too big to be harmful)

I was trying to put things in perspective. 

Of course, we need to suggest that everybody changes their clutch plates if they have not been replaced in the last 10 years with a known asbestos free one? Of course not. I am not trivialising the asbestos risks, I understand them very well having spent some time taking and testing sample, including using a pestle and mortar to grind samples up. I am  just trying to explain I, and all the other motorists who have ever driven a car with asbestos linings, not responsible for umpteen thousands of deaths. That includes just about all of us.

I do not want to cause arguments, but trying to be balanced and take a thought out approach to this issue (and many others too!)

Clive, you must have missed my last post? So here it is again. This is from the HSE document you were so keen for me to read.

"In the past, asbestos was used in motor vehicles as the friction material in clutches, automatic transmission and brake linings, and in gaskets. The use of asbestos in these components was prohibited from 1999, with the exception that pre 1973 vehicles could continue to be fitted with asbestos containing brake shoes until 2004. Therefore, it is possible that some older and 'classic' vehicles could still contain these asbestos containing products. The supply, possession for supply and fitting of asbestos products to motor vehicle, trailers etc is now banned. Care should be taken when removing an existing component that you suspect may contain asbestos (which must be replaced by one which is asbestos-free)"

It's BANNED!

Indeed, it is banned and garages are not allowed to fit asbestos brakes anymore. However, that does not apply to individuals. (the HSE document is aimed at industry, in this case garages)

And there is no requirement to remove asbestos-containing parts from cars either. 

Without a doubt there is a lot of opinion out there on this subject.

At the end of the day, if somebody wishes to fit pads with an asbestos content within them that person will. Conversely if they are against asbestos then they will not fit such pads.

No matter what the legislation is, it remains a personal choice and provided there are customers these pads will be sold; regardless of how it is "policed".

For me, the most important factor is: will "these" pads stop my car when I want them to and at a level of efficiency that makes them safe & worth fitting.

Regards.

Richard.

Without a doubt there is a lot of opinion out there on this subject.

At the end of the day, if somebody wishes to fit pads with an asbestos content within them that person will. Conversely if they are against asbestos then they will not fit such pads.

No matter what the legislation is, it remains a personal choice and provided there are customers these pads will be sold; regardless of how it is "policed".

For me, the most important factor is: will "these" pads stop my car when I want them to and at a level of efficiency that makes them safe & worth fitting.

Regards.

Richard.

Richard,

When asbestos is a Public Health risk no one can claim that using asbestos pads is a "personal choice", any more than is smoking in public.

And when perfectly good brake materials are available that offer as good stopping as any asbestos material, to use those is perverse.

I use Mintex 1155 on my road/race car and I've never been less than completely satisfied with their abilities, in fact I pride myself on getting advantage in competition  by late braking.

There is no place for asbestos brake materials today, and no excuse for using them.

John

John.

I accept all those points, it's a case of an individuals perspective and mind-set.

You can tell and show people everything there is about the negative points of something - be it brake pads or smoking, but if someone wants to do it they will.

Asbestos pads will remain on some peoples shopping list so long as they are available. Eventually supplies will run-out; that will be it's natural conclusion but not before that. 

It's a bit like the Dickensian days of putting kids up chimney's to clean them - useful, but socially and health wise unacceptable today !! 

Regards.

Richard.

If anyone is interested Hawk do make a "Ferro-Carbon" pad set for the Type 16 Caliper,

Listed as a Nissan part I think it is for the rear brakes on the 240Z in SAE specification and therefore may have Imperial size pin slots. Slightly cheaper than the Mintex as well.

Sorry no asbestos in them though.