SU Carburettor Refurbishment

Black Cat

34 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

For refurbishing you could try posting to Andrew Turner - have a look at his website:

http://www.su-carbs.co.uk

He could probably adjust as required for your system if you give him the spec of the car as it now stands, unless you want them set up by tuning on a rolling road?

Personally can’t recommend AT . The refurbed Strombergs I bought were very shiny but needed rebuilding . Maybe it was a one off 

Paul 

1 hour ago, Black Cat said:

Is there anywhere in Suffolk or north Essex which can undertake SU carburettor refurbishment and set up to suit the modification I have on my 1500 Spitfire?

If you are even fairly competent, stripping and refurbing SUs is quite straightforward at home. Burlen sell a rebuild kit, the important bits being spindles. 

Hopefully your carbs have the return springs that are around the spindles, as opposed to the older pull type (which are prone to wearing the carb body, which is bad news)

What mods? If you post a list, somebody may be able to suggest a suitable needle, although a rolling road will get it 100% (and really, it does make a big difference to power AND economy, I remember seeing a herald 12/50 go in with 35bhp, come out with over 50 (it had twin carbs and a 4 branch manifold) likewise my toledo went from 73 to 91bhp, and far better economy too.)

11 hours ago, Paul H said:

Personally can’t recommend AT . The refurbed Strombergs I bought were very shiny but needed rebuilding . Maybe it was a one off 

Paul 

No personal experience but I have read very mixed reviews on AT so I got my Strombergs refurbed at Leighton Buzzard Carburetter Exchange instead.   They were cheaper too. 

shiny doesnt make them work   just burns ££s  they were never shiny in the first place  

just what mods have you done to the 1500 ???    triumphtune /moss give lots of advice for a variety of supposed upgrades

i only recommend the carb exchange Leighton Buzzard for any reworks 

Pete

The car had previously been bored out to plus 30 thousand, when the engine was rebuilt I fitted a fast road cam, a four two one stainless steel exhaust system and it also has K & N air filters on the carbs.

I think my biggest issue is how do I determine what size needles to fit, is it trial and error or is there a way of working out the size from the modifications that have been carried out. The general refurbishment I hoping would be quite straightforward.  

Looking on line there is a company in Chelmsford, Essex called SU Carbs. https://sucarbs.co.uk/ anyone had any experience with them.

Yes, still got wax stats.

Will have a look at Steve's online manual, also have a copy of "The SU Carburettor High-Performance Manual by Des Hammill and a copy of SU Carburetters spare parts & specification which I got from Burlen at Goodwood Revival last year, hopefully this will help.

2 hours ago, Black Cat said:

Looking on line there is a company in Chelmsford, Essex called SU Carbs. https://sucarbs.co.uk/ anyone had any experience with them.

Last year I did email sucarbs but he must have been away and by the time he responded I'd sent my CDS150s to Carburetor Exchange. They did a great job and fit spindle seals as standard. Cost was about £225 for the pair. 

If you want to play fit an air flow (worry) meter. You'll need to cut a hole in the exhaust and fit the boss for the sensor. However if you want a good rolling road try BD Engineering at Sittingbourne Kent. He holds lots of SU needles and is very good. 

Iain 

Had a response from SU Cards yesterday and he has quoted me a cost of £350.00 for a complete clean and rebuild to suit my cars modifications including fitting non-wax stats but he has a long waiting list a present. Need to ring him on Monday and see exactly how long the waiting list is.

to remove the wax stats   remove the jet and tube     prise open the thin steel capping, lift out the wax capsule  add two 1p peices

you must keep and refit the short steel spacer , re crimp the capping  and you have saved yourself    many £££££££s

its an easy diy job that really  works 

what on earth do you get for £350   and whats wrong with the carbs you are using right now 

there are some very simple diy jobs you can do to revitalise them 

pete

• 1 month later...