Period Photos of Triumphs

Mike Costigan

On 27/02/2022 at 11:21, Colin Lindsay said:

There's a striking similarity to other cars of the period, especially with that bar across the front grille.

MK1-1.jpg.8526b4643bd355fcfa5681551b078881.jpg

That's a 1964 Alpine Series IV or Mk1 Tiger with out the Stainless side trim, the earlier Cars had multi-row Grilles?

There is no doubt both the Alpine and Herald for some part where heavily influenced in the styling department by the Ford Thunderbird from 1955.

Gary

ford-thunderbird-1955-f9452-037.jpg

31 minutes ago, Chris A said:

That's what I was drawing peoples attention to with my previous comment about Leonardo 🔁

I know... I reversed the photo to get it into the same angle as the Herald, to make the similarity clearer. It wasn't spelt like that at the factory.

Right, Leonardo? 

QuarrelsomeGleamingCanvasback-size_restricted.gif.ebda54e051a5982927b804bfa75f4f0a.gif

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Mike Costigan said:

Leaving the rally stage for a bit of circuit racing in this post.

Here's ADU 2B and its 2000 tow-car in the square at Chatres-sur-le-Loire prior to the 1965 Le Mans race:

1965 Le Mans ADU 2B.jpg

ADU 4B in the pits during the 1965 Sebring 24-hour Race:

1965 Sebring ADU 4B.jpg

and ADU 2B again, lifting a wheel during the 1966 Nurburgring 1000km Race:

1966 Nurburgring 1000km ADU 2B 03.jpg

No tuck under on 2B's lifted rear wheel. I'll ask Bill (Bill Bradley)when he next pops in to see progress, but I think by this time (1966 Nurburgring) it had its Chapman strut type rear suspension.

Three privately-entered saloons in the 1961 RAC Rally this post; 

Number 70, WOY 180 is the Lichfield Green car of Leo Bertorelli:

1961 RAC Rally 01.jpg

I have no information on either number 150, 455 BPD, or number 125, 5745 SM (except to say I am sure it wasn't Stirling Moss!):

1961 RAC Rally 455 BPD.jpg

But note the personalised colour schemes; a non-standard side stripe on 455 BPD, and twin 'racing' stripes on the roof of 5745 SM!

1961 RAC Rally 5745 SM.jpg

• Like 1

Probably the toughest rally in the 1960s was the Marathon Rally, also known as the Liege Rally, but correctly as the Marathon de la Route. In 1963 it ran from Spa in Belgium, to Sophia in Bulgaria, then back to the finish at Liege, over 3,000 miles in four days with no overnight breaks - a real marathon!

The Triumph Works team consisted of three TR4s plus one Vitesse (6003 VC) fitted with a special 2-litre engine. Here are three shots of the team undergoing pre-rally fettling at Spa:

Number 47 is the Thuner and Gretener TR4, whilst 123 on the left is the private Belgian entry of Eddie Doseray and Roger Mundy:

1963 Marathon de la Route 00 123 Eddy Doseray - Roger Mundy.jpg

Number 34 is the Vitesse of Vic Elford and Terry Hunter (insurance salesman Elford looking very dapper accompanied by Hunter:

1963 Marathon de la Route 01.jpg

Sadly none of the Triumphs survived the rally, the TR4s suffering broken gearboxes and blown clutches, whilst the Vitesse caught fire and burned out on the return leg whilst lying in third position overall:

1963 Marathon de la Route 03.jpg

• Like 2

Ooooh! Thanks for that photo, I've not seen that one before. I have always understood that the fire was caused by a wiring failure, but looking at that pic the car has received a hefty whack on the left-hand headlamp, which could well have caused an electrical short.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Oops... guess they didn't put a relay in the wiring loom when they added those spots....

I see someone's nicked the spotlamp already, must be West Belfast?

Somebody has nicked all the lights.

Or kicked them all in frustration.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike Costigan said:

Ooooh! Thanks for that photo, I've not seen that one before. I have always understood that the fire was caused by a wiring failure, but looking at that pic the car has received a hefty whack on the left-hand headlamp, which could well have caused an electrical short.

Mike

According to the Robson Book it was leaking Fuel that started the fire?

Regards

Gary 

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

and whats lurking under the heavily louvred bonnet   ??

Pete

A modified Triumph 2000 Engine with Triple SU's and Extractor Exhaust manifold I would guess?

Although I've never seen any close up Under bonnet Photographs of 6003 VC in 2 Litre Guise.   

Three more colour shots for you today - these were all taken at the same location during the 1960 Tulip Rally.

First of all, we have the Geoff Mabbs / J H Flook coupe, 650 GHW, pulling in for a refuelling stop:

1960 Tulip Rally Geoff Mabbs.jpg

Already in the filling station is the Fisk / La Trobe coupe:

1960 Tulip Rally 12.jpg

Whilst Tony Horne and Rob Pengelly in 2HP decide they don't need to fill up and drive past:

1960 Tulip Rally 2 HP retired.jpg

• Like 6