Wheel trim suppliers

cliff.b

I have just bought an old set of chrome wheel trims for my Spitfire which have cleaned up nicely but some of the mounting clips are missing.

Wondering if anyone knows who made or sold these so I can check if replacements can be found.

The trims appear to be much heavier than the ones currently available.IMG_20220211_185018_998.thumb.jpg.5e675de0f3f4113da0ea603a5b7b9e84.jpgIMG_20220211_190113_879.thumb.jpg.5d15034fcd856dd9997259775dd08967.jpg

If you know the make we can try a search, but I looked for 'wheel embellisher spring clips' just now and found some that may fit - it might be trial and error, there are a lot of variations, but nothing exactly like those so far.

https://www.mbclassics.de/spring-clip-for-wheel-trim-14-inch-W108-109-111-113

You might be able to make those or have some made?

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If you know the make we can try a search, but I looked for 'wheel embellisher spring clips' just now and found some that may fit - it might be trial and error, there are a lot of variations, but nothing exactly like those so far.

https://www.mbclassics.de/spring-clip-for-wheel-trim-14-inch-W108-109-111-113

You might be able to make those or have some made?

Thanks for looking. I did search myself but didn't find anything. Not sure how these ones would fit though.

I'm thinking now of trying to make some copies of the originals myself.

12 hours ago, Mathew said:

Never throw anything, as soon as you do , you will need it!

Indeed. I can resolve most of life's problems with the contents of my garage. Today's problem is putting up some plasterboard without the assistance that was promised lolIMG_20220214_121131_535.thumb.jpg.47f8be12596a0c6f77b883c95b8e603c.jpg

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

I've been using my head to keep the other end of the board up while I try and get a couple of screws in. No doubt that's how the proper tool got its name 🤔

That's what I was doing hence the flat head. With plasterboard there's absolutely no support like you would get with plywood - you put a screw in one corner and the screw will hold that up; with plasterboard you screw one corner and let go, and it just snaps off. If I'm on my own I use the top of my head, if anyone else is there they can use a floorbrush to spread the weight and so hold the sheet in place until I can get the screws in. 

5 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Went out this morning to pick up an ebay gt6 purchase, more elsewhere. Came back and stored all away, sorting out the barn to fit it all in. Hunting high and low i can't find those clips!!!!! Will have another look Wednesday as im out tomorrow.  Is it allways the way when your looking for something. 

Yes, too true. Thanks for looking, anyway 👍

17 hours ago, Mathew said:

The hunt is not over, its got me wondering where i put it now.

Yesterday morning I went into St Ives and being market day, some guy had multiple trestle tables with loads of really useful stuff, all for a £ or so. So £15 lighter & a bag of "stuff" heavier I came home and inspected my haul.

I absolutely know that at some point, all the things I bought will be exactly what I need to sort some problem that crops up.  However, I am less confident that when that day comes I will remember that I bought the stuff or even if I do, where I put it 🙄

Anyway, hope your search succeeds but if not you might find other good stuff you had forgotten about lol

You guys showing off about plasterboard.

At present in many parts of NZ plasterboard (Gibboard) is a very rare commodity and is going to cause huge problems in the coming months.
We are in a building rush but many will not be able to be completed if this does not get resolved.

Even timber and steel are getting in short supply.

1 hour ago, ahebron said:

You guys showing off about plasterboard.

At present in many parts of NZ plasterboard (Gibboard) is a very rare commodity and is going to cause huge problems in the coming months.
We are in a building rush but many will not be able to be completed if this does not get resolved.

Even timber and steel are getting in short supply.

The buildong trade has been through similar issues over here. Shortages of plaster, cement, timber etc but things are getting back to normal. Prices on some stuff (OSB3 being one) doubled, but has settled back a bit, but still huge increases.

There`s a young guy up the road, doing a self build at the moment, he was saying that his "reserve" had been well hammered in recent months. Everything from brick/blocks to nails has "inflated". He`s just got to the roofline and the truss` in place, so lots to buy as yet.

When I did mine, `98/2000. I put all the plasterboard in by myself, using home made "T" bars, being a full timber frame, there was a lot of it. and the Garage ceiling was double thickness (fire requirement) The Air compressor and Nailing gun was a "god send". My "reserve", went underground, when we hit running sand and had to pile, £11.000, for a reinforced ring beam and 9.5M piles, and nothing showing!.😭

Pete

I visited a 600mm water main being laid near Seal Sands in the North East which had to be bedded on sleepers to stop it sinking in the trench.

Here in Melbourne we had an empty 2100mm welded steel pipeline during construction it floated out of its trench during a heavy rain event when the trench flooded, contractor had got ahead of himself and not backfilled, pipe was replaced 10 lengths of 10mt long 10mm thick pipes scrapped, only good for drainage culverts!  

There is a suburb over the hill from me called Wainuiomata.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wainuiomata

Last year the city council decided to survey the ground as a lot of infill housing and new developments have been going on.
Now anyone building on what was the old swamp has to put piles down 10m then put the concrete floor on top of them.

34 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Excellent! How long did that take?

I'm not sure, maybe a couple of hours but most of that was trying to work out how to do it and deciding I should have done it in a different order.

Now I've made one they would probably only take about 30mins each. 

This isn't precision engineering, more rudimentary "fettling" lol