CRC Evapo-rust

ahebron

I watched a few videos about it.
Best results seem to come from warming the liquid and putting it in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Went to the local Bunnings this afternoon and they had the 5 litre for NZ$43.99 so I bought 2.
Degreased the headlight bowl fixings in a simply green solution in the ultrasonic cleaner then drain dry and put them in Evaporust in the ultrasonic cleaner for about an hour.
As these are small bits and bobs I put them in a plastic pot with a screw on lid (screw jar) put the liquids in the pot and then put that in the ultrasonic cleaner that I have filled with warm water. I suppose you could do the same thing with zip bags but I find they tend to rip.
I am amazed at the result they look like I have sandblasted them.
They can stay in the pot of Evaporust till  I can set up a zinc electroplate solution for them.

So far only one test but very impressed but no photos as I was too keen to give it a go. 

I wouldn’t leave stuff sitting in the deruster for a very long time. These things  will be working on the principle of being able to dissolve iron oxides (rust) at a greater rate than they’ll dissolve the metallic iron in your steel parts. But they will also dissolve that eventually. 

Speaking both as a former research chemist, and someone who chucked an old horseshoe in a nearly spent pot of the BlitHamber product and forgot about it for months… You could see the layering of the iron from it being forged when it came out, which was definitely interesting!

for fairly small steel parts I just put them in brick/patio cleaner (Hydrochloric acid) overnight, all rust will dissolve but you do have to rinse dry and protect very fast as it will flash rust in a few minutes. Even did this with my brake callipers, split them leave overnight and then rinse and rebuild. Plus very cheap and readily available from DIY stores.