March 2022 courier

Triumph948

16 minutes ago, Triumph948 said:

Dear all,

Just a quick heads up about this month’s Courier,  some of the pages have not been printed in the right order due to a mix up at the printers.

Does that make it a collectors item that will be worth millions in a few years time ?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Assuming anyone notices!

19 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

aaaahaa.. pages 73-78 are between 69 and 70! :)

It is the Officers and Area directory that have got lost (again?)

At least 1 person has 🙄

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Hope that the club got a decent discount for accepting poor quality goods. It started off with dodgy spare parts and has now worked down to the club magazine. What next?

All the Courier articles will have a little sign saying: "photo to appear soon"...

Sorry... :( couldn't resist it...

2 hours ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

Got mine today and have now found out why Stags are so unpopular. p. 60 tells me that they make "45 bhp. NET @ 5,500 rpm." A bit gutless if you ask me.

Thread drift...

I have been disappointed with driving stags. Feels like you have to trash them to get them to move fairl quick (same experience with a 5 litre Mustang, that had to be revved to 7k, and nevre felt rapid. Spoiler alert, 0-60 well under 5 seconds..... 0-100 about 10, all in Death Valley)

However, if I didn't have my spitfire and Dolomite, I would look to a stag as a good all rounder. It would need a bit more power/torque though...

And yes, my mag arrived today. It has a life expectancy of days before hitting the recycling.....

My mag arrived today too. I always head for Colin's article first, Trevor's Specials section next and then the East Sussex area news. Andy Cook's re-trim walk through is good too this month. However, the magazine is in the recycling within 15 minutes of opening and that really bothers me, I'd opt out of receiving it if I could. I would be much happier reading those bits online. 

As Clive said earlier, I'm wondering whether my membership is worth renewing. I don't visit the website, Footman James offers me agreed value insurance based on my valuation of my Spitfire, the disposability of the magazine makes me feel guilty and I can read as much of Colin's excellent prose, amongst many others, on this forum. 

Perhaps Rob has been right all along.

Adrian

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Creep 😁

So do I, that's two of us. Creeps.

I read it firstly to try to remember what it was about and secondly to spot any mistakes before the rest of the gang do, so I can have an excuse or a solution handy. After that, the local Area report, the small-ads, and then settle down somewhere comfortable for all the other articles - keep the best to last!

Colin is very clever, not duplicating what he puts in the Courier on the forum. Several others don't post at all on it. Diversity should remain. Hard copy might just be harder to destroy too.

My son has a Chevy Chevelle (his wife's dad's manual street racer) 5.7 litre. It does quarter milers in under 14 secs. Absolutely terrifying. He has a Rover V8 powered Stag with a taller diff. Not roadworthy yet, unfortunately.

I had a track event for my 60th at Goodwood in 2008. Three laps in a 5.7 litre Cobra replica. I saw 145mph in third. No chance of looking away again. Still prefer straight sixes,

18 hours ago, clive said:

Thread drift...

I have been disappointed with driving stags. Feels like you have to trash them to get them to move fairl quick (same experience with a 5 litre Mustang, that had to be revved to 7k, and nevre felt rapid. Spoiler alert, 0-60 well under 5 seconds..... 0-100 about 10, all in Death Valley)

However, if I didn't have my spitfire and Dolomite, I would look to a stag as a good all rounder. It would need a bit more power/torque though...

And yes, my mag arrived today. It has a life expectancy of days before hitting the recycling.....

Clive. I am surprised at your experience with driving Stags.  I have found that a well tuned bog standard Stag should pull like a train. I remember reading the Motor magazine back in the early 80's (even though the Stag out of production by then) when they still listed the Stags performance figures in the back alongside all the other cars available then. The overtaking figures were simply amazing, and beating all sorts of current (1980's) exotica. 

My experience based on owning them, and driving customers examples since they were nearly new is a lot of things conspire to dull there performance, including diff ratio changes, poorly tuned carbs, and dodgy 'modifications', amongst others.  

2 hours ago, Works Spitfires said:

I have found that a well tuned bog standard Stag should pull like a train.

Yes, but they do so in a very civilised and fuss-free way. For a lot of drivers, that gives the impression of nothing much happening, even though measurements disagree.

6 hours ago, Works Spitfires said:

Clive. I am surprised at your experience with driving Stags.  I have found that a well tuned bog standard Stag should pull like a train. I remember reading the Motor magazine back in the early 80's (even though the Stag out of production by then) when they still listed the Stags performance figures in the back alongside all the other cars available then. The overtaking figures were simply amazing, and beating all sorts of current (1980's) exotica. 

My experience based on owning them, and driving customers examples since they were nearly new is a lot of things conspire to dull there performance, including diff ratio changes, poorly tuned carbs, and dodgy 'modifications', amongst others.  

It is possible the cars were not the best? But I was expecting something akin to how my 2.5 vitesse used to drive. But as said, I was disappointed. The other factor may be I am used to my spitfire which is lively with a fair bit more power and rather lighter (unless I have had a "good" breakfast)

Moot point about me buying a stag, I can't sell my spitfire, ever. 

• Confused 1