Water and E5/E10

dougbgt6

East Berks Club night last night, so took the GT6 out for a run in the morning to ensure everything OK. Did a couple of miles then loss of power, couldn't keep the revs up, vacuum way down in the red and slowed to a stop. Bugger!  Noticed I'd only got slippers on, Double bugger! :(  Without expectation tried to restart, and......idling normally. Turned for home and the same again, but not so bad, made it with top speed of 20mph. Had a look under the bonnet, nothing dropped off, sticking or leaking. Tried a restart, back to normal!  Put some boots on and set off again, no problem. Is it the dread rubber slivers?

Drove GT6 to Club night, no problem. Told the tale.

"How old's the fuel?" 

"must be 4-5 months since I filled up, haven't used it much :wub:"

"Water in the fuel!"

It seem E5/E10 absorbs water over time and when it can't absorb any more it separates and the water sinks to the bottom of the tank. This had passed me by.

JLM Petrol E10 Fuel Treatment 250ml | JLM (jlmlubricants.com)

Doug

• Like 1

Hmm... I took my GT6 to the Cambridge meeting on Monday, after it had sat in the garage since September. I did put a gallon of fuel in (because it was almost empty) but it was from a spare can I'd carried on the RBRR in October. The initial start was reluctant (I hadn't primed the fuel pump, though, so it was probably only running on one carb for the few seconds before it picked up) but once running it went great.

took the 2000 for a blast and a top up and its stood since november  always used 97 E5  and its running well ,fired up straight away and va va room  

incidentally knowing its Dougs birthday soon i think he is more interested in the  J LM's solution is to slow down the ageing process as much as possible 

so  put some in your Tea     

Pete

Instructions to Herald owners: move reserve lever to reserve, drain off water at the bottom of the tank, turn lever to normal position and drive away. It might work... :)

However: how many of us even in everyday cars drain the tank right to the bottom? How long is it going to take a modern that never goes below 1/4 full to accumulate quite a pool of water in the bottom of the tank, where the fuel pickup will start to suck it up?

I run my 13/60 on 98 and haven't suffered this type of problem. At the end of each season I do nothing special, if the tank is full or close to empty it stays like that until it needs filling again. The last pre winter fill was the 8th October, first fill this year, 28/02, with 180 miles done between them - must have been October & November use. 

Must be the dry winter climate here in Normandy !

I've pondered over this thread and reached the conclusion that Doug's diagnosis of water in his fuel is incorrect. Having re-examined the evidence, it's clear that the cause of his car's failure to proceed was the act of wearing slippers. These are not the preserve of the GT6 driver and should be restricted to Triumph 2000 drivers. The car, having identified Doug's faux-pas, showed him the error of his ways, allowing him to return home at a safe pace and change into more appropriate footwear, whereupon the car (and Doug) could then go about their journey as per normal. I'm confident this theory can be tested - next winter, leave your car for 3 months with E10 fuel in it and then try to drive it in your slippers...

Gully 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

is it still mandatory to wear shorts?

Oh yes, shorts, slippers and a flat cap. 

26 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

as a young apprentice on peannuts i replace a trouser fly zip with 6" of velcro 

you got some funny looks peeling the velcro when off for a pee 

Wow! You'd have to be careful retrieving your equipment.  :o

Doug

58 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

'residents tended to rub and stick their feet together and then 'face plant' when they got up!

I thought the reason I fell over when getting up was that I was drunk, now I will have that extra glass in the evening. 🥃