Water and E5/E10

dougbgt6

On 09/03/2022 at 12:36, Colin Lindsay said:

However: how many of us even in everyday cars drain the tank right to the bottom? How long is it going to take a modern that never goes below 1/4 full to accumulate quite a pool of water in the bottom of the tank, where the fuel pickup will start to suck it up?

To save BW's blushes I'll get us off the subject of his wardrobe contents and back to the question of petrol tank contents.

As I understand it from this thread E10 is more prone to water deposits than E5, so how had is the E85 that is getting more and more popular here? Logically after a few years the tanks of these cars are going to need draining. Maybe it is even in the service schedule now along with replacing timing belts etc. I must ask a friend of mine who uses it in his 3 series BMW convertible that has been reconfigured to use it.

If E85 is getting more popular in Chris' neck of the woods then there is a possibility that in due course, due to oil import problems, it may start to be produced over here. Now, does that mean that we will need to replace all the rubber fuel hoses again or will the current Gates hose be able to handle it. Indeed, can our engines handle it?

E85 is an unleaded petrol that’s a blend of 15% regular unleaded and up to 85% ethanol. Despite being introduced around a decade ago, E85 is no longer commercially available in the UK although it remains widely available on forecourts across Europe, often called bioethanol E-85.

37 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

... probably because it didn't bring in enough tax revenue.... :)

SSHHHH! Keep it quiet. They'll catch on when enough people use it and the tax revenue from petrol plummets.

Currently E85 is 0.90€ per litre when the proper stuff is at 2.00€ locally.

8 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Just been to fill up the Ford, £1.60 a litre for E10. Ouch!

Now I know why people complain of water in their petrol tank - crying into the tank as they fill up.

Prime minister here announced yesterday that from the 1st April for 4 months there will be a "remise" when you pay. The petrol station will show their standard price and when you pay there will be 15 centimes per litre off the price. So, say 2€ per litre, buy 10 litres. Till will register 20€ then a "remise" of 10 x 0.15€, 1€50 bringing the bill to a much more affordable 18€50 . .

Seems a complicated way of doing it, but for them maybe easier than changing the various taxes on the fuel.

I have noted the claimed start date. 🤔

If you Google it online, There are mixed reviews about E85, not disimilar to the E10 "debate", Upside it burns cleaner and being Ethanol it has a cleansing effect on (some) components. Down side it is not that good for OLDER engines, those not specifically designed with Ethanol operation in mind. Deteriorating rubber is a recurring theme. It`s also "alleged" that a 15% drop in fuel consumption can be expected, (LPG use expects a 10% reduction).

The why? as to the buying of more expensive fuels is likely to be related to the above and "humankind" being what it is, it`s hard to promote change, even when there is a financial incentive.

On a personal note. I run a little 2006 Peugeot 107. I found that putting E10 in it, it definitely ran less well than a fill of E5 (Super). But I don`t regard that as anything more than subjective.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

It`s also "alleged" that a 15% drop in fuel consumption can be expected

My friend who has had his series 3 BMW reprogrammed and before that had 2 Renault Meganes says he hasn't noticed and extra consumption, and at half the price he would still be on to a winner.

On the other hand his wife's Zsara does consume about 10% more.

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

do folk buy the expensive stuff and if so, why?

in the 2000 and the when i had the Vit6    I  wouldnt use anything other than 97 ron  

as thats nearest  now to what they were designed to run on with std factory settings 

i still say in the day 93-95  was for side valves and motor mowers  you have to retard  the timing loose performance and add heat 

why would you do that

Pete

29 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

in the 2000 and the when i had the Vit6    I  wouldnt use anything other than 97 ron  

as thats nearest  now to what they were designed to run on with std factory settings 

i still say in the day 93-95  was for side valves and motor mowers  you have to retard  the timing loose performance and add heat 

why would you do that

Pete

Aye, but back then we could still get hands on a gallon or two of Avgas, which acted as octane booster. You gave the bloke on the airfield 1/6d for a gallon in a Castrol tin!!.

Pete

Used to do the same re avgas/mix on the daughters Dolly Sprint in the early 90's, a friend filled his 2500PI up with avgas the injector metering unit leaked it all on the floor overnight, appears the rebuilt metering unit seals were not suitable for avgas, he was a tight ar*e and still complains about us recommending avgas to him to this day! 

• 4 months later...

My GT6 does not perform well with my wide shoed UK size 13, lots of uncontrolled events happen like braking and accelerating at the same time and poor fuel ecomony resulting from a heavy right foot. Perhaps the original target audiance for the car happened to be smaller trendy people wearing winkle pickers. I now have to wear plimsols to avoid pedal collision, they fit like a glove and you can feel everything best £10 I spent in a long while.

Regarding the fuel and water and ethonol content, when I used to fly with unleaded there was a big concern about the amount of enthonol in fuel and that Esso / Shell / BP were not selling you a pup for the extra cost. The CAA didnt want more than 5% ethonol. So the fuel testing was a home grown tester of a small bottle with 10% mark which you poured water upto. Then the second mark at 100% you pour you E5 upto it. If Ethonol existed it is absorbed into the water and the fuel seperates (water is heavier and stays at the bottom). So if ethonol is present the water/ethonol rises much above the 10% line it time to find another fuel company (never use morrisions when flying) we used to constantly write to Esso/Shell/BP about which garages have strict fuel control. Now even Tesco publish 99octane garages.

Recently I seen Youtube's of people extracting all the ethonol out of the fuel using this water separation method, the ethonol is syphoned off and little fuel is wasted. 

John

IMG_1325.JPG

20 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I have an old pair of semi-smart semi-soft shoes that are noticably less wide than the usual ones. I keep them for driving Triumphs for exactly that reason.

Same here, except for mine aren't up to being called 'semi-smart'