Rear hub puller

Leon

Hi all.

Trying to do a rear wheel baring on my herald and as I'm shaw you all can guess i have hit a blank, short of making a hub puller myself. I am hoping that a club member has one they would be able to post to me for a few days in return for a few bear tokens????

I will cover all postage costs or even come and meet you if your close enough.

i am based in the north west, wirral area.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance.

all the best. Leon

these are £72 from club shop and for any idea of postage cost they weigh 5kg

many dont let them out of sight as there's a   hi risk the threads can get mullered

so loans often need  a good deposit 

just some thoughts on your idea   hope you find a local one 

Pete

The flanges on the hub can bend quite easily, if using a legged or similar puller,

if you can apply some load via the wheel studs or their holes dont go mad or you will bend the hub

nip it up to a good load and leave it overnight, it may then just pop off but they can be right swines to remove that why the unique puller is substantial and costly

hubs that get bent can be refaced on a lathe , new are costly

pete

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested I can put you onto a guy who did mine for me, replaced inner and outer bearings, new UJ, shot blasted / primed, welded the backplate and ground back where the handbrake lever pivot sits ( it wears a divot on the backplate) all done for £69 ( including drilling out a seized trunion bolt!) at that price it's not worth doing it yourself!

If you are interested I can put you onto a guy who did mine for me, replaced inner and outer bearings, new UJ, shot blasted / primed, welded the backplate and ground back where the handbrake lever pivot sits ( it wears a divot on the backplate) all done for £69 ( including drilling out a seized trunion bolt!) at that price it's not worth doing it yourself!

• 2 weeks later...

Bob. If you go on e bay and search do a user called Sponmon. Send him a message and he will do the lot for you. He is based just off the m6 toll at Lichfield. His name is Ian. He sells the tools as well but I got him to do mine.

I sent mine up there with a courier and it cost me £12 to ship it.

Cheers

The adaptor allows you tomdrag the bearing hsg off the shaft, same as a good vice and a mallet to knock the shaft out of hsg.

the dimension in the manual for refitting is just a start point fitting the backplate and hub pulls the bearing down the shaft , when done check the drum runs central over the brake shoes

pete

Even when using the Club puller, this can be a very tricky job.  I tried all the tricks, heating it, leaving it overnight, extra leverage.

But finally I hit the bearing housing smartly on opposite sides with a pair of hammers.  And the combined shock wave did the trick.

A bit like splitting suspension ball joints or other taper joints.

Don't bother trying to make up your own puller - the Club one is a serious bit of custom kit.  I've broken too many ordinary pullers over the years.

Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

The adaptor allows you tomdrag the bearing hsg off the shaft, same as a good vice and a mallet to knock the shaft out of hsg.

the dimension in the manual for refitting is just a start point fitting the backplate and hub pulls the bearing down the shaft , when done check the drum runs central over the brake shoes

pete

Hi Pete can you please tell me the measurements as starting point please? ive had my hubs pulled off and eager to get them rebuilt :) many thanks Jonny

The outer bearing face and back plate face of the hsg, ends up 66.67mm from the end of the threaded shaft .

the tool specified is just tube drift, but the manual doesnt give any dimensions

really just fit the flinger 6" down the shaft grease the needle rollers fit the housing and drift the bearing

up the shaft, odd there is no location it relies on friction to maintain position

press or easy to whack it up the shaft if you have a vice , to 66/67mm do a dummy fit without the flange nut and check the drum is correctly central over the shoes

once happy torque the nut and refit the upright etc ,

rear hub bearings need 4 squirts of grease gun on a service, too much will end up in the brake

if the drain catcher decides to spue rather than drain

• Like 1