Number Plate Light - Spitfire 1500 1989

Pettifordo

56 minutes ago, Pettifordo said:

Does anyone have or can suggest where I could source the number plate light for a Triumph Spitfire 1500 1980 

One like this (this isn’t my car - it’s one on the TSSC stand at NEC Resto show

B6B20BA0-0D87-445D-819F-6BD6835EDFC5.thumb.jpeg.25bfcd98894442f7e2c43489be1c0199.jpeg

Hello

I think you will find the hole centres are different

Roger

As Mathew and Roger said, that photo is of an earlier (Mk4) type and the holes in the bumper are spaced differently on the 1980 two-buttons type. It may be possible to fit that earlier type on a late bumper - depends whether it's long enough to cover the existing holes - but you'd need to drill extra holes to fix it.

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

It may be possible to fit that earlier type on a late bumper - depends whether it's long enough to cover the existing holes - but you'd need to drill extra holes to fix it.

I can confirm that yes, this CAN be done.  The early light does cover the later holes and you do need to drill some new holes for the earlier mountings.

The correct lights for a 1500 are just little buttons.  You can see them either side of the GB sticker in this photo:

Triumph_Spitfire_4.jpg

• Like 1

My S-reg Spit also has the "Triumph" light which I believe is original, whereas my old blue X-reg (actually built Aug '79) had the later button ones like Mjit. It should say in the parts catalogue at what chassis number they converted. I much prefer the earlier style, so interesting to hear that you can convert.

Cheers, Richard

On 19/03/2022 at 13:24, rlubikey said:

My S-reg Spit also has the "Triumph" light which I believe is original, whereas my old blue X-reg (actually built Aug '79) had the later button ones like Mjit. It should say in the parts catalogue at what chassis number they converted. I much prefer the earlier style, so interesting to hear that you can convert.

Cheers, Richard

The Moss catalogue has it as FH116000.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to put the earlier plinth type light on the later bumper. I’ve done just that as, whilst not strictly period, the later button set up was (I guess) a cost saving. Personal taste. 
The plinth type lights regularly come up on EBay. Mine cost £25.

Looking at it it's the same as the boot light on a (at least Mk2) big saloon.  With those the whole bulb holder/lens/chrome frame fit into a special grommet which in turn goes into the bodywork, and everything pushing against everything else holds it in place.

The bulb holder is part of a rubber grommet which just pushes in. The glass sits over it and is retained by the chrome cap. On the Toledo, the chrome cap is fixed by two screws in those lugs. For the "without lugs" version I guess the chrome cap must be held by the rubber. I never liked them much, either way - they use the world's cheapest and nastiest bulb fitting for the world's cheapest and nastiest type of bulb.