John Lennon , posthumous member

docwad

If you can make someone a member who didn't own a Triumph.

That wasn't Lennon's car - it belonged to George Martin, their producer, at the time of JL passing his driving test at the age of 24 (!).

Sorry, guys (I nearly said " 'n'gals" but that's Non-PC these days).  Lennon's first car was  a Ferrari, a 330 GT2+2 Coupe.

Like you would if you were one of the richest 24 year olds in the world, even then.

John

He also pranged the aforesaid Herald when he borrowed it on a later occasion, so his net contribution to Triumph heritage is somewhat behind his immense contribution to popular music!

Had he lived, he would have been 75 today, but he would probably have needed a steady chauffeur to have made it that far. As john D notes, he had a penchant for powerful Italian sports cars, and went on to own no less than 3 Iso Leles, but he was reputed to be an awful driver, and his poor eyesight did not help. Great picture though, reminding us all of a rather more carefree and innocent era. RIP John.

Steve C

So, poor eyesight is an impediment to driving skills?  Sounds a bit myopia-isamist to me!  :lol:

A contact lens once displaced itself in my eye, I pulled over and was busy searching for it using my rear view mirror when a gentleman in blue tapped on my window. He asked to see the spare pair of glasses the law says should be in my car. "Are you aware sir that you are legally obliged etc etc etc"  He was disappointed to find I did carry a set.

Doug

As a former Traffic Cop and Courier legal columnist, I have never come across such a law.  The requirement is simply that you should be able to see above the prescribed eyesight test whilst driving.  In my view, if you fail this on a journey, as you did, you stop until it can be rectified, either by some means on yourself (as you did), or by getting someone else to drive.

I have to wear eye correction to drive commercial vehicles and I only carry one set of specs (no contact lenses) and I am not aware that I am committing an offence.

Regards

Mike

A quick trawl of the interweb tells me Mike is correct, however, it happened, which is why I have always thought it true. Just goes to show you, can't trust anybody! :lol:  Also it IS the law in Spain. Along with all the triangles and yellow jackets you have to have spare specs.