Pertronix Ignitor

Stratton Jimmer

I spoke to the technical guy at Pertronix and the Ignitor 2 with 0.6ohm coil draws about 4 Amps. He said the calculation isn't applied correctly as the 0.6ohm is for the coil not what it requires. I have to say the cables from the Ignitor to the coil are very small. Apparently the widgets and programming in the Ignitor sort and sense everything. 

I'm happy and slid that one off the worry list! 

Iain 

19 hours ago, Iain T said:

What about Ignitor 2?

According to their website, the Ignitor 2 has a microprocessor controller which allows for ignition to be left on while the engine is not running. The following is from "Heritage Parts Centre UK":

"The ignitor 2 is an improved and updated electronic ignition with all the features of the ignitor 1 plus a powerful micro controller which senses current levels in the coil and adjusts the dwell to maintain peak energy throughout the rev range resulting in the following features
Four times more available energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM when compared with points
Three times more available energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM when compared to ignitor 1
High RPM performance is much better if used wiht a flamethrower 2 coil
Improved starting
Shuts down automatically if the ignition is left on for an extended period with the engine not running protecting the coil from overheating
Cannot be damaged by incorrect wiring unlike the ignitor 1"

• Thanks 1

Hi,

The Ignitor 1 has less output energy than correctly setup points.
Their website is very misleading concerning energy.
"Powerful micro controller" Really? Maybe they mean the MC3334? The MC3334 is NOT a Micro.
Cheers,
Iain.

Edited by SpitFire6
missed a 3!