Static timing Lucas - 180 out ?

SeanG

Hi guys, another quick one, i m trying to put back a rebuilt delco, i turn the engine to tdc on no1 and then put the distributor but it point down (see attached pictures) but when i turn another 180 and set tdc on no6 , the distributor arm points at no 6 ! (other picture)

Is cylinder 6 no 1 ????? i m bit lost, thx for help !

post-1175-0-46625400-1444571663_thumb.jpg

post-1175-0-64124800-1444571680_thumb.jpg

you need to make sure No1 the front cylinder is on its compression / Firing stroke 

thats about the right zone for No 1  and the second photo is about right for No6 compression stroke 

as the firing order is 1 5 3 6 2 4  anti clockwise  so 1 and 6 are 180 opposed  

timing on 1 front or 6 rear is the same , just depends which stroke you are on 

look at the rockers, the cylinder  no1 on its fire stroke will have tappet clearance , the opposing culinder no6 will have both rockers 

partly opening the valves .so no clearance 

Pete

providing the dog drive is properly located in the cam gear off set drive ( yes you can make them fit 180 out)  it doesnt matter a jot where No1 is pointing provided you start your lead in the cap  for No1 from where the rotor is pointing and then 153624 anti clock from there on. 

the idea of getting it as per book is so the leads all reach ,the vac capsule dosent foul up  it they are long enough its not important , so long as you know where No1 is. and the lead is plugged in to the terminal that matched  where the rota 's pointing

Pete

• 1 year later...

you need to make sure No1 the front cylinder is on its compression / Firing stroke 

thats about the right zone for No 1  and the second photo is about right for No6 compression stroke 

as the firing order is 1 5 3 6 2 4  anti clockwise  so 1 and 6 are 180 opposed  

timing on 1 front or 6 rear is the same , just depends which stroke you are on 

look at the rockers, the cylinder  no1 on its fire stroke will have tappet clearance , the opposing culinder no6 will have both rockers 

partly opening the valves .so no clearance 

Pete

Ne advised that the firing order has been listed wrong in one of my three service manuals. It was printed wrong. Do not remember whqt it is called but it has a dark blue cover.