No fuel

cliff.b

Out for a drive today and needing fuel. Drove past several petrol stations that were shut, including supermarket ones, before finding a Tesco's that had petrol but no diesel.

Wondering if this is all over the country or just round here 🤔

Anyway, I filled with Tesco Momentum & it has gone down to £1.63. Regular stuff was £1.5x something.

Wondering if everyone has filled up before the prices go up again and emptied the garage tanks

Tesco in Craigavon have diesel, 12 miles away from me and 6p per litre cheaper. (168.99) This is Tesco's policy of lower prices in so-called 'deprived' areas; they also don't charge £1 for the trolley which is why so many of them are abandoned round the approach roads.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Tesco in Craigavon have diesel, 12 miles away from me and 6p per litre cheaper. (168.99) This is Tesco's policy of lower prices in so-called 'deprived' areas; they also don't charge £1 for the trolley which is why so many of them are abandoned round the approach roads.

Hmm, maybe that explains why it seemed to be cheaper in Ramsey 🤔

8 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I don't think I know Ramsey, but if that's where they wear baggy grey tracksuits, push prams and have loads of piercings and tattoos... and betting shops... sounds about right.

Lol

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I saw diesel at £194.9 today, highest ever.

most was about £1.75 to £1.80

think I need to visit a deprived area, wonder if there is 1 round here 

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

I saw diesel at £194.9 today, highest ever.

One hundred and ninety-four pounds 90. That's a bit dearer than here😃🇨🇵. If I fill my modern at that price it would double the value of the car. Wasn't that a joke about Skodas? Did I mention my modern is a Skoda?

5 minutes ago, derekskill said:

Petrol on the M6 at Tebay Northbound was £1.77.9 yesterday,  here in North Cumbria it's £1.55.9, a shocking difference. 

Derek.

It`s always been more expensive historically on M-Way services, but NOT that much, that`s blatent taking the proverbial. Back in the 80`s and earlier, Diesel was as much as 10 to 12p Cheaper than Petrol. Aparently it costs less to refine?. Being  "heavier end". But that was before the "Greenies" got involved. And taxes where hiked. Now why does that feel familiar?.

Pete

Never heard of deprived areas getting discounted fuel, what and who defines deprived, I lived & worked in Stockton & Middlesbrough area so am I deprived? Seeing the disparity in pricing btwn deprived and NORMAL areas, think I'd be annoyed!

Our Australian federal govt has just cut their fuel excise tax in half by > 20c per litre (around $1.78/litre now) to help ALL us deprived citizens! Oh there's a Federal Election in less than 2 months, aren't I cynical!

32 minutes ago, PeteH said:

It`s always been more expensive historically on M-Way services, but NOT that much, that`s blatent taking the proverbial. Back in the 80`s and earlier, Diesel was as much as 10 to 12p Cheaper than Petrol. Aparently it costs less to refine?. Being  "heavier end". But that was before the "Greenies" got involved. And taxes where hiked. Now why does that feel familiar?.

Pete

Have you checked the historic tax rates?

Since 2008 petrol and diesel have been taxed at the same level. 

2001-2007 diesel had a higher rate of duty

94-07  the same but last coupe of years diesel more than petrol

89-94 diesel was a little less but only a few p. 

So the reasons for the changes in diesel are noting to do with fuel duty. More demand/supply. 

The reasons fuel went up so much in the  90s was the Tories disaterous escalator policy, later cancelled by the Labour govt in 2000. Thankfully (Blair did up it from 5 to 6%, didn't go down well)

7 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Australian federal govt has just cut their fuel excise tax in half by > 20c per litre (around $1.78/litre now) to help ALL us deprived citizens! Oh there's a Federal Election in less than 2 months, aren't I cynical!

Here in France we have had a 18 centimes per litre tax cut since the 1st of the month that continues until July.

Surely nothing to do with the fact that on Sunday I will be voting and doing a stint in the polling station for the 1st round of our presidential elections. No, just a coincidence of course. . . .

In Tesco Eastbourne Diesel was 171p but they had none. Morrisons 174p so filled up as returning grand-kids to London tomorrow. Eastbourne is cheaper than Worthing but definitely a less frantic place to live. Brighton is between but I refuse to go there (except for hospital) due to the low emission zone and the Bus gates.

On 04/04/2022 at 09:05, clive said:

Have you checked the historic tax rates?

Since 2008 petrol and diesel have been taxed at the same level. 

2001-2007 diesel had a higher rate of duty

94-07  the same but last coupe of years diesel more than petrol

89-94 diesel was a little less but only a few p. 

So the reasons for the changes in diesel are noting to do with fuel duty. More demand/supply. 

The reasons fuel went up so much in the  90s was the Tories disaterous escalator policy, later cancelled by the Labour govt in 2000. Thankfully (Blair did up it from 5 to 6%, didn't go down well)

While I don`t have access to the data. I am fairly sure that when I moved to Surrey, 1980/1 to take up a Job. The Petrol was in the region of 10p/litre more expensive than Diesel.?. I know it was one of the alleged "incentives", when our company cars where all changed over to the diesel versions, as well as the better MPG of course/

Pete

5 hours ago, Wagger said:

In Tesco Eastbourne Diesel was 171p but they had none. Morrisons 174p so filled up as returning grand-kids to London tomorrow. Eastbourne is cheaper than Worthing but definitely a less frantic place to live. Brighton is between but I refuse to go there (except for hospital) due to the low emission zone and the Bus gates.

The Brighton low emission zone only applies to buses. 

Bus gates are mainly around te old steine, which has changed dramatically in the last couple of years and as I rarely venture that way, it is all ver odd ater nearly 40 years of driving around the city. But the bus gates are pretty easy to spot. 

10 hours ago, clive said:

But the bus gates are pretty easy to spot. 

That is not the case in many towns. The one in Chelmsford is now properly labelled after lots of people had their fines dropped due to poor signage. I am sure it wasn't a deliberate act, especially as it cut off a very popular road.

Thankfully one knock-on effect is a limit on local club runs... we used to cover some horrendous mileage, up roads, down roads, backwards and forwards for an hour only to emerge on the main road a half-mile from where we left it, and then leave it again at the next junction for more of the same. Some of the runs were up to five hours continuous driving - two or three hours to a lunch spot then more all afternoon until tea-time, and became more of an endurance test on little nightmares of back roads in poor condition. It was like a four-wheeled conga. The last one was about 120 miles, much more sedate but still cost me about £40 in fuel. Thank goodness for fuel poverty!

9 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Thankfully one knock-on effect is a limit on local club runs... we used to cover some horrendous mileage, up roads, down roads, backwards and forwards for an hour only to emerge on the main road a half-mile from where we left it, and then leave it again at the next junction for more of the same. Some of the runs were up to five hours continuous driving - two or three hours to a lunch spot then more all afternoon until tea-time, and became more of an endurance test on little nightmares of back roads in poor condition. It was like a four-wheeled conga. The last one was about 120 miles, much more sedate but still cost me about £40 in fuel. Thank goodness for fuel poverty!

I thought that cars were meant to be driven? And I reckon your car needs a few tweeks, unless it is a PI car...

27 minutes ago, clive said:

I thought that cars were meant to be driven? And I reckon your car needs a few tweeks, unless it is a PI car...

Driven yes but endured... no. I don't mind a lovely scenic run in the sun, but a switchback railway of a follow-my-leader along narrow lanes just to add a few miles to the run is no fun. One of the reasons I sold the GT6, too much likelihood of damage or accident. A 30 mile main road trip becomes 100 miles of backroads that shake the teeth out of your head, and just to make a run last to teatime. Ok for them young 'uns, but us oldies.... :)