(Cheap) Adjustable reamers?

1969Mk3Spitfire

I need to slightly enlarge a 13mm hole in a soft metal of around 15mm thickness. Hence I'm thinking about an adjustable reamer.  Ebay sells cheap tools in the £12-£15 range.  I usually need to do this job once a year.  Does anyone have experience of cheap adjustable reamers / are they up to the job?

Thanks, @JohnD

This is an annual boat prep job, I need to modify a standard anode by drilling a hole to take a half inch dia plug, part of a rope cutter. The more accurate I can make the fit, the less potential for wear from use throughout the season. I usually use a rotary burr and round file. Positioning the hole centre can be a bit hit and miss as I’m taking measurements from an inaccurate casting. I think that using an adjustable hand reamer would be a good improvement. Just querying if anyone has direct experience of using fairly cheap tools.

Have a look here https://www.tracytools.com/?keyword=adjustable+reamer&route=product%2Fsearch

TRacy tools do some nice stuff - not too expensive. These will easily cut through your soft material.

This one is close to your size https://www.tracytools.com/17-32-19-32-adjustable-reamer?keyword=adjustable reamer

Roger

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mathew said:

Just the thought of using emery on a lathe makes me feel uncomfortable. I know its done but so easy to be cought up in it. Seen the pictures of someones body slumped over , head smashed and brain on the counter. 

Teeth of the god's, Mathew!   I'm not suggesting a dangerous procedure! Use a strip of emery, each end held in the fingers and long enough to keep the finger well away from the machine!  Perfectly normal and safe technique!

On 04/04/2022 at 19:25, JohnD said:

Perfectly normal and safe technique!

One often seen in production environments, in the past, but don`t wrap it around the workpiece!. In my experience, There is more danger from sleeves and cuffs, getting caught. The worst offenders where the old Belt driven lathes with the metal belt clips and running on fast and loose pulleys. The "other" technique is to place the Emery on the face of a file. I`ve actually still got all 10 digits intact, and a BIG birthday due next year.

Pete

Mathew, I acknowledge that you and the H&SE consider handheld emery strips very bad practice!    But their examples show the strip wrapped around the fingers, clearly risking being drawn into.the machine.

But I've seen very experienced operators do it, holding the strip between finger and thumb, so that if caught it would pull away from the hand, not pull the hand in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JohnD said:

But their examples show the strip wrapped around the fingers, clearly risking being drawn into.the machine.

Rather like putting your thumb around the start Handle, a sure way to an A&E visit.

Pete