Confused by the v5 log book

Kelv

I bought a 1962 Triumph herald 1200 recently. On the V5 document it states that it is a convertible. But the car has a solid roof. It also says that it is a 1296 CC but I didn't think  they put 1300 engines in 1962 heralds. 

16494413000754707796712359342809.jpg

Put up a photo of the engine - from the manifold side - and we'll tell you whether it's the original 1147 type or a later 1296/1493 type.

The DVLA do get things wrong sometimes - often during the transcription of the original paper documents into the computer system - which is probably where the "convertible" came from.

The car clearly has been subject to various modifications, at least cosmetically.

If it has an OD box it cannot be on a Mk 1 chassis.  Mk2 Star chassis introduced June 1962 Comm No. GA80001

1300 engine begins with GE and has (normally) a single stromberg.

Does any of thet help?

C.

Some "confusion" here. My 1970 (Build) 13/60 Has Vin Prefix GE, (no legible Suffix, but Reg as Convertible from new) and Engine (1296cc) Prefix GK (suffix HE, so presumably a low compression?).

Arn`t. GF prefixed Engines fitted to Spitfires? as O/E.?. And HE the high compression engines?. My understanding is the earlier cars where 1147cc?. (Model 1200?). Which would match the Figures given in the 1st Edition Herald 1200 owner handbook.

So arn`t we seening an engine swap at least here?.

Pete

That Comm Number should relate to a saloon (DL) on a Mk 1 Chassis, made between June and July 1961.  This would not allow an overdrive to be fitted.

The engine number is almost certainly a misreading/mis-stamping  of a GE engine number.  Looks fairly early.

C.

If it is a GE prefix engine (and of course the numbers on the car may not match those on the V5!) then yes it originally came from an earlier 13/60 and will be 1296cc. GF isn’t a prefix I’ve heard of before. 

I suspect we have a bitsa here, and NOTHING wrong with that! Apart from the originality perspective.

A 1300 with overdrive will be a much better car to drive than a 1147 with no overdrive.

The later chassis is stronger, so another plus point.

#The front seats look like the later type, and rather comfier too. 

Wheels are late spit/GT6 pattern but 5.5J versions, worth a few quid. 

I rather like te 2 tone paint as it is, but your car, do with it as you wish! But it is my sort of car, use it, enjoy it. 

13 hours ago, Kelv said:

I bought a 1962 Triumph herald 1200 recently. On the V5 document it states that it is a convertible. But the car has a solid roof.

My GT6 was described as a convertible on the V5 when first registered. DVLA mistake, not uncommon.

Agree with Clive that's one of my favourite Triumph paint combinations, Silver?!! Nah!

Doug

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clive said:

I suspect we have a bitsa here, and NOTHING wrong with that! Apart from the originality perspective.

I rather like te 2 tone paint as it is, but your car, do with it as you wish! But it is my sort of car, use it, enjoy it. 

+1 for that! As proud owner of a bitser myself... :)

My convertible has a 1200 saloon bulkhead, Vitesse bonnet, half and half 1200 and 13/60 rear tub, one 1200 door, one 13/60 door, Spitfire gearbox and overdrive, Vitesse propshaft.

I worried for years about my 1200 Estate that when rebuilt I had to use a donor roof and engine, and therefore I'd lose the original registration number, so made sure I had it on the official records with the change of engine number; it's now SORNed and only me and the bodyshop know the roof was originally green. Plus you lot, now.

My Mk3 Spitfire has a 1500 engine and diff, Mk4 gearbox and seats, GT6 front suspension and brakes, swing spring, and Mk2 rear lights. Still, it no longer has the rear end of a Mk2 cut-and-shut welded behind the axle (the result, I believe, of an accident fairly early in its life) since the restoration. Bitsas are good.

With very few exceptions all our Triumphs must be bitsas by now, either through choice or necessity.

My 13/60 has acquired over time a set of vitesse aluminium bumpers and a definitely not standard, for a Herald, Triumph badge on the bonnet, windsreen wipers which seem to be the opposite way to standard (i.e. park on the nearside) electronic ignition, the wrong Triumph steering wheel (these last 2 fitted during my ownership).

A few of my cars are pretty original.

Mk3 Spit had a swing spring and a Mk4 Spit gearbox. And oval hole wheels. 

Mk4 Spit has a different bonnet, and 1500 engine and box, but I know where Original engine and box are 

And I have a couple of proper bitzas

😀