Things are getting smokey and smelly!

avivalasvegas

45 minutes ago, avivalasvegas said:

Yes. I do have an auxiliary fan that kicks in when the temperature gauge needles crosses into the dangerous half. It did kick in and stayed on earlier when I was stuck in traffic fearing a breakdown.

It did not the second time when I fueled up the car as the drive was too short.

Just wondered as I had an incident last year where after stopping in some stationary traffic, the car was very hesitant pulling away, had no power and the temp gauge shot up. I think mine was probably an airlock in the cooling system but I can imagine that similar could be caused by maybe a failed water pump or thermostat stuck closed.

22 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Because we are OLD ?

Doug

Well that is certainly true, but I remember calling them capacitors when I was young. Condensers in electronic circuits date back to the days of valves 🤔

But I suppose cars have valves so maybe that explains it 😁

4 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Ha! I just bought a valve amp! EL84s, mostly come from Russia now, or not! :lol:

Doug

I have a VOX amp with one real pre amp tube that contains 2 actual valve elements that can be configured to emulate most of the classic valve amps. Power stage is solid state but doesn't sound at all bad, especially considering the price.

13 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

agree we are lucky .........its an age  thing  same as a dash pot will not become a hydraulic load dissipating  fuel enrichment contrivance

thats filled by a  non gender workperson  we had the best years 

Pete

Indeed. And as someone once pointed out to me, my Spit may have been made in the 70s but it's a 60s car, built using 50s technology in a factory that was probably using 1940s equipment

talking old machines  when they closed the manufacturing down we had a 1916 vertical mill converted from overhead belt to electric just used for tapping diff rear cover oil filler holes didnt owe us a bean  and a few yards away was some pretty new CNC lathes and mills which probably 

owed us a lot from their purchase price 

Pete

29 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

I have a VOX amp with one real pre amp tube that contains 2 actual valve elements

Cliff 

I also have a VOX (VT30) amp. Clever bit of kit. (epic thread drift BTW)

Do we know if the patient is running on points or EI.

Heater valve could easily drop water on the exhaust manifold. Hot coolant has a definite smell, but not sure I have ever smelt it burnt off an exhaust.

Picture shows water to normal level in the rad, but has it been lost from the system, ie has the level in the overflow bottle changed?

Ian

1 minute ago, Ian Foster said:

Cliff 

I also have a VOX (VT30) amp. Clever bit of kit. (epic thread drift BTW)

Do we know if the patient is running on points or EI.

Heater valve could easily drop water on the exhaust manifold. Hot coolant has a definite smell, but not sure I have ever smelt it burnt off an exhaust.

Picture shows water to normal level in the rad, but has it been lost from the system, ie has the level in the overflow bottle changed?

Ian

Patient is definite running Lumenition Magnetronic. The thermostat was just replaced last month. Overflow bottle appears normal. 

40 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Ha! I just bought a valve amp! EL84s, mostly come from Russia now, or not! :lol:

Doug

Some say that most of the Russian military technology still uses valves. Not sure if it's because they will still work after a nuclear explosion or if that's the extent of their technology.

Either way, assuming your amp is for a guitar, it will be some comfort that you will still be able to blast it out if nuclear armergeddon should occur 👍. Assuming you can find somewhere to plug it in, of course.

Just now, avivalasvegas said:

Patient is definite running Lumenition Magnetronic. The thermostat was just replaced last month. Overflow bottle appears normal. 

I had the dreaded slivers issue and took several carb strip downs to cure then the fake R9 started to melt internally and the resulting sludge blocked the carbs . 
Paul

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

I had the dreaded slivers issue and took several carb strip downs to cure then the fake R9 started to melt internally and the resulting sludge blocked the carbs . 
Paul

Once again the phrase 'fake R9' comes up when talking about THE SLIVERS . .

I get that when someone changes the petrol pipe there is an initial risk of a bit of pipe being cut and ending up in the system, but after that surely the system would stay clean for quite some time.

I bought my replacement pipe from the high street motor spares place that every mechanic in the area uses, they have no interest is selling dodgey stuff. Now id someone has some fake 98 Ron at half price  . . . .

without knowing where some members get their fuel hose and what spec its supposed to be there is a lot of 

hose thats degraded on the inside , and was supposed to be R something or other   but in a short time the Other raises its failings 

it has nothing to do with the E's its just rubbish with any petrol 

Pete

4 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

The thermostat was just replaced last month. Overflow bottle appears normal.

Clearly not a condenser issue then.

When you replaced the stat, did you top up and run the system with the heater on.

I'm just thinking that when you opened the heater valve (your initial trigger to the problem) water was drawn into the heater creating a deficit (airlock) elsewhere.

I have been very particular about how I refill my cooling system, creating a good head and bleed path above the radiator and the thermostat housing using clear pipe and funnels, so as to get all of the air out. It does show definite benefits.

Does your radiator cap seal properly ? If not the system won't pull water back in properly as it cools.

Ian

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cliff.b said:

Some say that most of the Russian military technology still uses valves. Not sure if it's because they will still work after a nuclear explosion or if that's the extent of their technology.

Allegedly the reason for their forty-mile-long convoy having trouble reaching Ukraine was cheap Chinese tyres not being up to the job...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

talking old machines

I had reason to go into a small Production Workshop, about 5 or more years back. There, still in use, was a familiar Vertical Turning Mill. Which when I last operated it, in 1964, was even then better that 40+ years old. It having been converted from line shaft drive when it was moved from the Old Factory to the (then) New Factory!. By now it must be better than 100years old!.

Pete.

40 minutes ago, PeteH said:

I had reason to go into a small Production Workshop, about 5 or more years back. There, still in use, was a familiar Vertical Turning Mill. Which when I last operated it, in 1964, was even then better that 40+ years old. It having been converted from line shaft drive when it was moved from the Old Factory to the (then) New Factory!. By now it must be better than 100years old!.

Pete.

I wonder if, due to severe thread drift, there is a classic machine tool forum whose members are currently discussing Triumph cars 🤔

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Probably. Thread drift, like love, cannot be created under artificial circumstances; it just happens.

That's a bit deep for this time in the morning, I'm come back to it after more coffee 

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Probably. Thread drift, like love, cannot be created under artificial circumstances; it just happens.

Thread drift must have a connection of some sort to the original subject, no matter how tenuous.

It starts getting interesting when you then get tenuous links to the new subject, and so on lol