How often do you drop the engine's sump to clean it out ?

Bfg

How often do you drop the engine's sump to clean it out ?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. For your car and/or motorcycle older than 30 years old - How often do you drop the engine's sump to clean it out ? ..be honest now :)

• 1. For your car and/or motorcycle older than 30 years old - How often do you drop the engine's sump to clean it out ? ..be honest now :) Never have done, since I bought the vehicle. If and when I change the engine oil - the new is soon black !
    • Only when I first bought the vehicle, or else when the engine was last rebuilt
    • Once every 100,000 miles, or else approximately every ten years
    • Once every 50,000 miles, or else approximately every five years
    • Once every 20,000 miles, or else approximately every other year
    • Every time I change the oil and filter, so that the new oil isn't contaminated with what was in there before.

In line with most responses, I only remove the sump when necessary to perform other work.  I cannot recall ever finding much in the way of deposits in the sump.  When changing the oil, I first go for a short run to get the engine up to temperature before carefully removing the sump plug.  I then leave the oil to drain for several hours with the car jacked up to ensure the drain port is at the lowest point while I get on with other tasks..  On refilling the engine oil, it can be difficult to assess the oil level on the dipstick as the oil is almost transparent and it remains clear for many miles so I am confident most of the debris has been removed.

• Like 2

When I took the sump off my 2.5PI there was about 1.5"'of sludge, with black and grey layers in it, as it had periods of bearing wear. And a dip where the end was fnthe oil pump pickup went.

When I first got the car you could not see the rockers for the thick back gunge all over them. And it stunk of neglect.

I do not believe the previous owner ever serviced the car in the 100k he owned it. But then it was an old Triumph and not really worth anything, and he was a farmer.