Higher idle RPm & temp gauge

Quack

Few days later of testing, still having issues. It’s fine in the morning however after one drive, and during the drive, the revs are higher on the tacho. Seems to get higher throughout the day even.

mat first I was convinced it was a misreading but now I am certain it’s not. I can hear the difference, the car at idle sounds like if the pedal was slightly pressed, running a bit faster.

I’m thinking either the throttle or choke is sticking but I’ve tried pulling both back and still nothing. Really strange.

Can you post a picture of your carb/throttle arrangement. 

If there was a butterfly screw missing it would have high idle all the time, see Jeffds1360 post. 

It sounds as though something is moving after running the car then possibly settling down and returning when not in use. Odd, wierd but it must be something simple. 

Iain 

Ok more news, not sure if this means anything. I have the engine running and I spray starting fluid in to the carb, the idle momentarily slows down to a more normal speed. Or is this normal?

Is there maybe a vaccum leak? Too much air getting in? I thought if anything it would rev up!

If you spray starting fluid into the intake of a correctly tuned engine, then the mixture goes horribly rich and the engine stumbles, so the revs drop. That's normal. If it revved up then that would be an indication of too weak a mixture, possibly caused by an air leak.

After checking the air piston orientation screw the top back on then with the air filter off (and the damper plunger out) stick your finger in the carb and raise the air piston to the top then let it drop. Does it drop all the way with a mechanical clunk at the bottom. If it doesn't the jet needs centering to the needle. 

Note: when screwing the carb top on take great care to evenly turn each screw and check alignment by raising the air piston and letting it drop with a clunk. 

Iain 

8 minutes ago, Quack said:

Where/how do I see this?

From your photo just pull the diaphragm/air piston assembly up from the carb body. At the bottom of the piston are two holes which must face toward the engine/manifold 

PS

I've PM you with my mobile number.