Vitesse 1600/6 Door Burst Lock Plates

martyn wright

I bought a set from Spitbits a couple of years ago.
I have fitted them to my saloon as an extra door brace, the doors used to pop open on roundabouts.
But on the NZ assembled rear tub I needed to fit the backing plate in the door pillar and the dimples didnt line up.

12 hours ago, martyn wright said:

Hi Colin!  Where about do they fit and "they are expensive?"

They're very sought after, often due to convertible 'conversions' using saloon tubs and having to source a pair, so they can be pricey. That link is actually quite expensive so if you need a set keep looking and cheaper will come up, but not very cheap unless you're very lucky.

On the b-post some saloon and estate tubs, but not all, have two dimples for the bolt positions, only the convertible models actually being drilled out. The catch goes in the b-post and the 'hook' in the door with a large reinforcing plate in behind.

IMG_2389.thumb.jpeg.722a5010455a52c75cb480344e170c4c.jpeg  IMG_2393.thumb.jpeg.5b9fb667a6ed114c56f10bbc14354688.jpeg

good point Peter  the small sprung sliding wedge under the B post striker is a very important bit of kit on Herald/Vitesse door latches 

these stop the door lifting and disengaging the cam lock , keep them oiled and make sure the spring is returning the slide outboard 

pete

47 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

dont know when they were introduced as my orig  64 parts manual does not list them  so they were probably not fitted to early cars ?????

Pete  

The two spare tubs I have are 62 and 64 and both have them, and as far as I can tell the earlier one is factory fitted so not a later add-on. Sadly my parts manual only covers Saloon and Coupe with no convertible supplement so I can't check that.

i was surprised i couldnt find them either  by picture or part number index   listing , its a proper parts list not a repro   hey ho 

they are certainly hard to find now its a keep looking job 

it must be a proprietary part and not dedicated to triumphs  so wonder on what other makes are they used 

Pete

The anti burst catch’s come up on eBay quite regularly either as seperate parts ie the male hooks or female catch’s but the inner door strengthening plates that the female catch’s bolt to are seldom seen the plate is around 3 in wide and is as wide as the rear door face with 2 captive nuts in it.

My 62 conv tear tub (Aus CKD) had dimples on it where to locate the hook but my 68 Vitesse Mk2 saloon doors had no tell tale indication where to mount the female locating catch.

2 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

My 62 conv tear tub (Aus CKD) had dimples on it where to locate the hook but my 68 Vitesse Mk2 saloon doors had no tell tale indication where to mount the female locating catch.

That's possibly because, due to the door adjustment, you drill and fit to match the b-post mounting? (plus yours is a saloon door)

I also think - and it's only a think - that the female reinforcing plate fits into the profile of the door interior, so can only really go in one small area.

We used to make all of these parts.

The 'male' part was cast locally, and finish machined in Nuneaton.

The 'female' part was pressed here, with the slider bit cast by the same company that did the other casting. The internal spring was made specially for us by a company in Birmingham.

All the screws were proprietary off the shelf items.

All the metal parts were plated in Coventry.

The door internal strengthener parts were fabricated here in our press shop. 

We did the last production run of these about five years ago, and sold the last of the stock a couple of years ago.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, martyn wright said:

Yep!  I'm bidding on those! They have some type of plate with them?

Yes, they're probably TR7 parts so you can just see the smaller plate in behind that mirrors the shape of the hook itself. The larger plate can be easily made up in good steel and two nuts welded on, although you could probably reach round inside the door to hold two nuts onto the setscrews.