Spitfire 2nd Gear Crunch

Jonah

this is from a Rootes WSM but with a bit of study you can  fathom out how synchro actually works 

a very important feature is the acurate unchimbled angles on the sliding sleeve and the gear dog teeth 

if damaged by lots of crashing they often need replacing as worn ones will let the grip go before the clutch disc has been sped up/ slowed down and you end up with no baulking action , its not just down to the rings

Pete

syncho and howi.jpg

when I remove the gearbox, I also disconnect the exhaust as raising the engine puts a lot of strain on it, (ruined my rare mk2 manifold that way, though it was rusty). When putting the box back in I support the engine under the sump on a plank of wood extending rearwards with another piece of wood between the first and the bottom of the rear plate, this helps align the gearbox and the od box is bleeding awkward as it weighs a ton. I would also consider replacing the clutch as a matter of course (or at least inspect). You have the perfect alignment tool whilst the box is apart (input shaft). Gearbox reconditioners will have a whole load of synchro rings and will try each until they find a good fit, which is not possible for a DIYer. 

• Like 1

I don’t have the space to manoeuvre an engine crane to lift the gearbox and overdrive from inside the car so am thinking of erecting an overhead electric hoist

has anyone used one of these with a scaffolding pole fixed between the two garage walls?

im not sure about the tensile strength of the pole and am assuming the weight will be circa 200kgs

thanks Julian 

No, cant think the gearbox even with OD is as much as that. Two able bodied people can lift it pretty easily so with one either side of it in the car it can be jiggled out of position on to boards laid on the floor and then slid out through a door - even easier in a convertible...

I removed my Vitesse gearbox and overdrive single handed . It’s a pain though with one seat removed and old rugs covering the area went ok . Took out the passenger door and seat .the weight is about 50kgs . You need to Jack up the engine enough to clear the prop . I used thin scrap ply over the rugs to act as a skid 

Paul 

Same. Did both the Spitfire and Herald by myself via the passenger side, carpets and one seat removed (or not yet present in the Spit!) and door still on. There’s not a lot of clearance under the dash area with the Spitfire, but it’ll come out with a bit of manoeuvring.