have you got the £150 energy payout ??

Pete Lewis

if youre in the relevant council tax band  A to D    on  direct debits   our  local radio they had reports of some got paid twice  and some had  £150 taken out 

so its one more "couldnt make it up " headache    by trying to help but get it so wrong 

does anyone do anything properly these days 

its just more form the university of incompetence which seems to plague our lives 

Pete

Mine arrived today in my bank as I do DD. So no problems with North Tyneside on this one although generally they are a useless bunch of labour run numpties. NO POLITICS IN LOCAL GOV. PLEASE.

This was the council tax rebate.

The £200 "loan" for energy, repayable has not been sighted

When they said about handing out money I knew it would be me handing it out.

My little abode is a two bedroom + small box room, the previous owner had to extend over the stairs as it was so small.

Mine is band E.   Now as all the money that the Gov't have is not actually theirs (it is taken via taxes etc) then I consider that I am paying for this.

The 'in-laws' house in the same borough has two bed rooms and a box room that you can swing a cat in - it is band D !!!

I bet there is a group of the community in Hillingdon with 4 & 5 bedroom house getting this handout - and I also bet it will not be paid back.

Roger

So you are also getting some of your money back!

Here they introduced an energy scheme in 2019, the amount depends on what your "revenue fiscal de référence" is (net income after all deductions and allowances. There are 4 bands, the poorest of us get 240€, the slightly less poor get 176, the even less poor 113 and the poor 63. You can have it paid direct to an energy provider, mine goes straight to the electricity company.

Then last autumn there was an additional 100€ to those on less than 2000€ per month as an anti inflation measure with another 100 at the end of the year, or in February for the retired. There is currently a 0.18€ sub on petrol and diesel at the pumps for everyone until July.

They are very generous with the money we all give them aren't they, irrespective of which side of the chanel . .

They always want money hand-outs and never seem to ask where it comes from in the first place...

I have to laugh at some of the stories from the local schools, the kids are all poor and need free school meals and uniforms otherwise they starve. Then, at the end of the holidays, they write an essay on how they spent their holidays. 

"We went to our apartment on the coast... we went to Spain for two weeks... we were at Disneyland..." 

It's always the parents who collect them in their brand new 4x4s who haven't the money for the essentials... :)

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

When they said about handing out money I knew it would be me handing it out.

My little abode is a two bedroom + small box room, the previous owner had to extend over the stairs as it was so small.

Mine is band E.   Now as all the money that the Gov't have is not actually theirs (it is taken via taxes etc) then I consider that I am paying for this.

The 'in-laws' house in the same borough has two bed rooms and a box room that you can swing a cat in - it is band D !!!

I bet there is a group of the community in Hillingdon with 4 & 5 bedroom house getting this handout - and I also bet it will not be paid back.

Roger

We too are band E, so no £150 for us. And I could do with it, a trip to the dentsit is needed after a tooth broke last night.

However, the money is going to get pulled in from all of as as it is more of a loan. Except some of us will pay the loan back despite not hgetting  the money now. Ho hum.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

"We went to our apartment on the coast... we went to Spain for two weeks... we were at Disneyland..." 

...and couldn't get a signal on our brand new iPhones or charge them 'caus the power plug wuz wrong.

8 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

...and couldn't get a signal on our brand new iPhones or charge them 'caus the power plug wuz wrong.

Our local 'talk' radio show "Stephen Nolan' was on this morning and they were reviewing one of the local Party's manifestos for next week's election. "We will give ££££££ to this and ££££ to that and every household will get ££££ towards heating and food with free school meals and uniforms for all, free childcare and all else.

Where's the money coming from? Nolan pointed out that in order to pay for all this it would raise annual taxes for the average household by £300 per year.

"We'll tax industry and the rich." Good luck with that. Anyone know what country our industries and our rich are in these days?

Politicians, promise you everything and deliver nothing. If it is any consolation there was one candidat for the recent presidential election who basically said the same.

They are all the same whatever country, shame I can't get some classed as "nuisibles" then I could shoot them legally 😠

6 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Politicians, promise you everything and deliver nothing. If it is any consolation there was one candidat for the recent presidential election who basically said the same.

They are all the same whatever country, shame I can't get some classed as "nuisibles" then I could shoot them legally 😠

As an Ex-pat American my vote has not counted since I left the US in the late 90's. First past the posts etc. You can argue all you want but the numbers have never added up in a way to make my vote matter.

Because of that and the fact that the German government will not let me have dual citizenship (so no vote for me) I have concentrated on local things where I see the impact.

Smiles and hugs are good things.

Not a politically biased statement, but party manifestos should be manditary to honour. Any party can promise the earth until they win then it's all "oh can't do that because of ......."(you fill in the blanks). If you don't know the facts, don't promise the earth just to get elected, and if you do get elected and don't honour your manifesto promises, hefty fines should be leavied by (let's call it) OfMP, an independent body with no political persuasion.

.......Dream on little rabbit (Wolf)

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

As an Ex-pat American my vote has not counted since I left the US in the late 90's. First past the posts etc. You can argue all you want but the numbers have never added up in a way to make my vote matter.

Because of that and the fact that the German government will not let me have dual citizenship (so no vote for me) I have concentrated on local things where I see the impact.

No vote for me in the UK since I left in 1990, doesn't bother me. Here I do get to vote in everything as I have my French citizenship and retained my British one as well, although should I need a passport I would just get a French one, easy to do and fairly cheap , 86€.

Local 'politics' all for it. On my third term as councillor on my commune's council and we still do have power ( to a point) and control of what we do.

Politics?. The Biggest issue with politics (My View), is the "party system". The "Party" comes first, all other issues are secondary.

How you would replace that? is a Moot Point. Very few Representatives are Local People. Most are "Parachuted in" by the Party.

At base local level, If it amazing how little "power" that even Parish Council`s have.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

How you would replace that?

Well, proportional representation would go a long way to eroding the "party loyalty" aspect, in that it leads to a more representative balance in parliament, which in turn weakens the "winner takes it all" scenario that leads to the PM having evil overlord powers. Thus our representatives would, after a while, realise that they need to actually work together, and they may even contemplate doing so "for the good of the country" instead of for personal gain.

12 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Well, proportional representation would go a long way to eroding the "party loyalty" aspect, in that it leads to a more representative balance in parliament, which in turn weakens the "winner takes it all" scenario that leads to the PM having evil overlord powers. Thus our representatives would, after a while, realise that they need to actually work together, and they may even contemplate doing so "for the good of the country" instead of for personal gain.

I am not so sure. It means coalitions form, and a small party can then have undue power. 

In many ways we are lucky to have an enormous amount of inertia in "governement" (as in non-elected) that damps a lot of ideas down. when you think about it, not a lot changes when a govenment changes. Lots of talk, little real action. 

The thing that does change is world circumstances. So the fuel, food etc price changes are all things happening outside any governments control. 

49 minutes ago, clive said:

So the fuel, food etc price changes are all things happening outside any governments control. 

Really? I thought it was all Boris' fault? :)

When they decided on the structure of the Northern Ireland Assembly they came up with over a hundred representatives (MLAs) so literally anyone who stood for election got in. The chamber was full of Michael Mouse parties, a deliberate move to dilute the power of the larger parties. More than twenty years on its' more polarised than ever.

1 hour ago, clive said:

It means coalitions form, and a small party can then have undue power. 

Really? You think the LibDems wielded "undue power" in the first Cameron government? I'm afraid that argument against PR (and most arguments against coalitions) do not bear up under scrutiny of the facts.

On 29/04/2022 at 09:39, Colin Lindsay said:

They always want money hand-outs and never seem to ask where it comes from in the first place...

I have to laugh at some of the stories from the local schools, the kids are all poor and need free school meals and uniforms otherwise they starve. Then, at the end of the holidays, they write an essay on how they spent their holidays. 

It's always the parents who collect them in their brand new 4x4s who haven't the money for the essentials... :)

Don't get me started on this, there are a lot of people who are claiming they have no money, but still have Sky subscriptions, flashy mobile phones, a new car on a PCP (can't be seen in an old car) Disney sub scriptions ( What will the kids watch if they don't have it, Netflix subscriptions, they even get someone else to deliver their takeaways etc.

30 years of low interest and inflation has allowed people to change their views on what they consider essentials.

Money has been washing round and everybody has got used to it.

They need to get used to less of it.

Perhaps we need interest rates to go back to fifteen percent.

15%  remember that well    it was tough , and nearly floors us took a lot of moon lighing and such to keep the rats from the doors 

no hand outs just had to do more paid work to survive 

Pete

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

15%  remember that well    it was tough , and nearly floors us took a lot of moon lighing and such to keep the rats from the doors 

no hand outs just had to do more paid work to survive 

Pete

Same when we bought our first house, bare floors in some of the rooms, curtain liners on the windows rather than curtains and a plastic patio set for a table and chairs. I slept on a mattress on the floor for the first two months. I remember going to B&Q, Budget DIY and Texas and spending an entire month's pay in one day on paint and other DIY products, so that was a sparse month for the next few weeks. An overdraft was a whole negotiation and you felt really guilty! I didn't feel even slightly deprived of anything, I'd just bought a house and had my own garden and garage!

I believe in those days you could even buy a suit, go drinking and dancing all night long, then buy a bag of chips on the way home and still have change from a groat😁

IF.I start. It`ll be "Cue Capstick comes home". (To the same tune as the "Hovis Bread" advert, Dvorjac?). Or 4 Yorkshiremen? (Python).

Those who`ve never heard it, google it.

Pete

1 hour ago, johny said:

I believe in those days you could even buy a suit, go drinking and dancing all night long, then buy a bag of chips on the way home and still have change from a groat😁

Better than these days when you're entitled to a free suit, lots of paid time off work to go dancing, paid time off work if you're hungover the next morning, a free bag of chips, and loads of groats in the bank for this or that grant, benefit or topup. If not, you're in poverty.

On 29/04/2022 at 08:31, Pete Lewis said:

if youre in the relevant council tax band  A to D    on  direct debits   our  local radio they had reports of some got paid twice  and some had  £150 taken out 

so its one more "couldnt make it up " headache    by trying to help but get it so wrong 

does anyone do anything properly these days 

its just more form the university of incompetence which seems to plague our lives 

Pete

It's a payout from the council and not the government - so blame your local council!

Ours came through a couple of weeks ago. Our council being very efficient (Well I would say that as SWMBO is one of the accountants!)