Last of the Summer Wine Herald

Gary Flinn

4 hours ago, Chris Longhurst said:

Last on the market (at least to my knowledge) in June 2021.

https://www.tennants.co.uk/discover/news-insights/last-of-the-summer-wine-triumph-herald-sells-for-16-500/

There was also a 1200 LotSW 1200 convertible - possibly other as well!

LotSW 1200.jpg

I was just about to post: "AGAIN?????" It also sold in 2011 for £4,675. It jumped about a bit between models:

248694676_ScreenShot2022-04-29at17_25_09.png.7fc71dedf60586c89036dab4a2817ff0.png

I'll sell them one, WYO 626 H... it's a 13/60 currently stored about 25 miles from me. Used in the middle range of the series, it appears on screen with that number plate in a few shots.

dscf1875_6744.jpg.d6a95937cbd13a40b09bb82925582669.jpg

It doesn't help with WRH 132J appearing with both 1200 & 13/60 bonnets

http://www.triumphheraldconvertible.co.uk/wordpress/last-of-the-summer-wine/

After Corgi released their LotSW 13/60 Convertible with the  Edie Pegden figure I had a 'cunning plan' to make a 1200 version by sticking together a front end from a Corgi Vanguards 1200 saloon with the rear end from a Corgi Vanguards 13/60 CV. I've still got the parts cars - I was put off by not really being able to pin down the 'correct' registration number for the 1200!

3 hours ago, Chris Longhurst said:

It doesn't help with WRH 132J appearing with both 1200 & 13/60 bonnets

http://www.triumphheraldconvertible.co.uk/wordpress/last-of-the-summer-wine/

It's also a saloon with the roof taken off - they had to do this to get enough width in the rear seat for the three ladies.The cars varied between shots; in some it was a genuine convertible, in others the roofless saloon.

Info below taken from the LOTSW forum:

1270947939_ScreenShot2022-04-29at21_38_25.png.5f51ac3c38919a6736c5d090191e9ebd.png

• Thanks 1

The Number intrigues me, 1) It`s a HULL Registration (RH), 2) Its a 1971 Reg so even if a 1970 build it should be a 13/60 Bonnet?. Or where they producing the two models in Tandem?. And those over ridders dont look "right" either?

Pete

44 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Or where they producing the two models in Tandem?

I'm fairly sure the 13/60 and 1200 were produced together for at least some years, although the 1200 was only available in saloon form with no frills, as the "base" model, while the 13/60 was the more upmarket. They had earlier produced the "S" (a 948 no-frills model) alongside the 1200.

• Like 1

Correct, Rob! The 1200 saloon continued on until the very end, whilst at the same time the 13/60 had the saloon, convertible and Estate models to choose from. It's amazing really when you look at some of the other cars on the road in 1970.

The WYO registration appeared around series 12 or so, I'll have to go through them all online again to get a good screenshot but it had been sold off by the BBC to a local member around 2000 / 2001 and I bought it around 2002 before passing it on yet again. I think from research and conversations we had at the time that the BBC used between 6 and 10 cars, most as stunt doubles for the main pair so the VRMs are unknown.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just remembered that I do have a model of a LotSW  Herald '1200' Convertible on a (rather hideous to me) Danbury Mint LotSW diorama called 'There will be trouble ahead' (or something similar). I purchased it, I think, back in the early 2000s & decided it would be a dust gathering object that was best stored in the back of a wardrobe!!

1 - Danbury Mint LotSW.JPG

2 - TH 1200 Convertible.JPG

On 20/05/2022 at 01:03, Pete Lewis said:

that a  coincidence  i also  have one of those 

was about to blow the dust off 

Pete

I imagine Compo wouldn't have objected to Nora doing that.

10 hours ago, Chris Longhurst said:

It's a hefty piece of 'stuff' - I imagine shipping to Australia will be expensive!

Would/Could also attract attention on the scanner in someones luggage?.😁 I`ve had some strange "looks", when passing through checks with stuff for Yank Vehicles in the walk-on bag.

Pete

Yep funny what customs pick up! When I returned to Aus from the UK in 74 in our luggage the Vitesse's Phillips car slot in portable radio customs honed in on that pulling the back off removing batteries they went just short of pulling it apart, need not have worried as it was pinched from the rented house in a very posh suburb within the first 6 months here!

My worst experience with customs was at Heathrow as a 14 year old travelling by myself from Aus to visit the relatives over Christmas holidays, customs had great glee as they went through both of my cases full of Christmas presents for the relo's, but I think it was more we'll get the little prick as I was quite smart, new suit, new luggage, and Harold the company chauffeur had been let thro to help me & he being in his uniform, anyway after that the long run up the A1 North to Teesside with stops for tea at the truckies cafe's and finally to the grandparents Norton terraced house!!!

I flew out to Athens with an acoustic guitar, which was pulled in for a closer inspection at security at Belfast Aldergrove airport; they claimed the electronics inside had shown up on the x-ray and attracted them but it was actually stuffed full of t-shirts, clean socks and undies to free up room for prezzies and stuff in my other bag and keep the costs down.

In my experience of Athens airport, I bet you just walked through on the return journey with no problems. When I flew out of Manchester, some years ago, they pulled me for inspection after metal detector alert. On the way back nothing. Hope that it's better now.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, steveo said:

LOTSW Herald sold yesterday at H&H auctions for £15600 !

I hope the new owner realises the phrase 'one careful lady owner' was tongue in cheek...

680312483_Screenshot2022-05-22at17_48_46.png.def0a7e595f6a5802e5c76d2b75fef6f.png

GJN107D was also used, another red Herald - in some of the episodes you can just make out the letters in the background.

• Like 1