Spitfire Bonnet Stay

Neil Clark

Now that I've got the car back with its bonnet fitted I'm not too impressed by the bonnet stay I bought a couple of years ago - it doesn't really seem to lock well into place and I suspect that in any wind it might blow down.  Other than a length of wood while I work on getting the car finished any thoughts for improving on this?

C1700B07-AAD5-4B5D-936A-2CEC62DCB7F6.jpeg

If it locks into place it's actually quite secure, but needs to hit the correct 'fully in place' angle so that you're sure it's holding. I'd agree the bonnet is quite a sail for catching the wind, so unless you try some of the gas struts currently available you could manufacture some kind of sliding catch on the tube so that once it's in place the catch drops down over the bar and holds it there?

On 30/04/2022 at 21:06, Neil Clark said:

no it doesn't clip securely.

They don't "clip", they're just an over-centre design. Your photo looks as if it's pulled straight - if the bonnet is closed slightly from that position the strut is supposed to drop and the U-section stops it. You need to lift it to close the bonnet. That's what secures the bonnet open.