Jump to content

Tiger Seal vs Puraflex 40 PU adhesives


Recommended Posts

I need the help of a sparingly applied adhesive to keep a rubber seal in place along the bottom skirt of my newly refurbished hardtop.

I believe that Tiger Seal is commonly used for this type of application. I can’t find this locally but have read that Puraflex 40 is a similar PU product. This is available at my local Toolstation.

Anyone have experience, is it an acceptable alternative?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have used it, and yes, it is just about the same. 

I tend to use a lot of tubes of soudal Fix All, available in crystal clear. That is possibly better.... great for sealing around showers etc too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DanMi said:

From the factory the seal on the lower edge of the hardtop was a simple U channel with no sealant.

I believe that’s true but I can’t keep the seal in place once gravity takes hold. I’ve fitted it with the roof inverted, pretty much as soon as I turn it, it falls off. I was thinking about applying a slither of PU to help hold the seal to the hardtop skirt. I’m not planning to apply anything to the U channel which rests upon the body.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/05/2022 at 08:30, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

I believe that’s true but I can’t keep the seal in place once gravity takes hold. I’ve fitted it with the roof inverted, pretty much as soon as I turn it, it falls off. I was thinking about applying a slither of PU to help hold the seal to the hardtop skirt. I’m not planning to apply anything to the U channel which rests upon the body.

I have exactly the same issue. The replacement seal profile isn’t big/grippy enough to hold tight to the hardtop. Which product did you go for in the end and has it done the job.

i am  thinking to get the rear deck seal done, then put the hardtop on the car, and then fit the other seals with the top in-situ. Does that make sense?

cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Rockape said:

I have exactly the same issue. The replacement seal profile isn’t big/grippy enough to hold tight to the hardtop. Which product did you go for in the end and has it done the job.

i am  thinking to get the rear deck seal done, then put the hardtop on the car, and then fit the other seals with the top in-situ. Does that make sense?

cheers

I feel your pain!

Two of us wrestled with the hardtop, on the garage floor, inverted but supported by a lot of old bedding, and after about 3 hours we had successfully fitted the side window seals. Much KY Jelly was consumed and a lot of huffing and panting by two old blokes. Wearing yellow Marigolds helped, too. 

The bottom skirt seal is currently held in place by strips of masking tape. I bought a tube of Puraflex but haven’t as yet used it. The hardtop doesn’t seem to fit the body profile very well, there’s a gap near the sides. As to be expected, the poor fit is just where I can’t get my fingers in to re-sit the seal so I’m still pondering a solution.

We also struggled for hours trying to get the windscreen/top mount screws in place. All 4 of the 5/16 UNF captive nuts have been renewed so I should not have had a problem.  In the end we gave up and I ordered screwed rod and made studs. After more hours, this time single handed, I finally managed to bolt it down. I haven’t yet addressed the side mounts. The OE tie bars are unobtainium so I’m making a pair of simple brackets and will use screwed rod with two dome nuts.

I don’t have a rear screen fitted, either. I’m hoping that once I have a screen in place and have made brackets for the side mounts, that the fit to the body will improve. Then, I’ll try to figure out how to retain the skirt seal. 

Despite the grief, the black top on a white car looks absolutely fabulous.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

That... could be soooooo misconstrued...

As a friend of mine always says, “don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it”

Two blokes, kneeling on the garage floor, wearing marigolds, wresting a long piece of rubber into a small aperture using copious quantities of KY Jelly, how could you possibly misconstrue such a picture of innocence?

Here’s work-in-progress. When complete, I’ll take it to nearby country lanes for some better shots.

 

8204E395-C07A-49A5-BBD8-0FEA8D86E89F.jpeg

7F436FE3-491B-46FD-85F2-A0D62981A81A.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

As a friend of mine always says, “don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it”

Two blokes, kneeling on the garage floor, wearing marigolds, wresting a long piece of rubber into a small aperture using copious quantities of KY Jelly, how could you possibly misconstrue such a picture of innocence?

 

Oh my gosh.. for a moment there I thought you were working ON AN MG!!! 😄

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...