Frustrating ebay bids

Mathew

The second time this week! Once on phones internet and once on landline internet, i put my bid in with a minute to go and the review just spins and no bid placed!!!!!!! They both went to the starting bidders with one bid! Arrrrrrrrrrrr. Still saved me a few pennies for now.

Suggest you get a snipe app on your phone, something like "MyBidder".  Great at putting last minute bids on things rather than trying manually 

Aidan

I agree with Aidan. Ever since I got stuck in the NEC with no interweb. I use the free 'justsnipe' utility. Puts the bid in 8 secs before close. If you subscribe it will do 2secs. Never failed to get the bid in. I do put one bid in just to show intent. Quite often get offered a second chance bid. Good utility to have.

Ha! I just stole a bargain with 2 seconds to go! No special app, just the magic fingers. :lol:

Do I need it? Well no, but it was too cheap to let go, I couldn't help it, I had to have it. 

Doug

7 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Ha! I just stole a bargain with 2 seconds to go! No special app, just the magic fingers. :lol:

Do I need it? Well no, but it was too cheap to let go, I couldn't help it, I had to have it. 

Doug

This is how i normally do it. I have updated the app, hopefully it will allow me to bid now! The app was freezing when bidding, last time it was freezing when going to pay, update fixed. Time will tell. Meanwhile a passenger glovebox that i need has slipped through my fingers. Maybe i should just put a list of bits i am missing on the wanted section!

I must be missing a lot of good stuff... nothing worth bidding on in ages (bar an entire bag of accelerator pedal clips that I didn't need either...)

Maybe i'm searching for the wrong stuff or in the wrong areas?

In the meantime Gumtree is causing me enough grief, never saw so many fools or timewasters.

Colin, i have some regular searches. Triumph: spitfire , gt6, panels, then in the car parts section, newly listed. Put loads on watching and then promptly forget to bid on some of the buy it nows! Being notified they are no longer available. As for muppets, i hardly sell on ebay, although it was not too bad the last couple of times. Gumtree is just random. I must say that car and classic for selling my 2500s was very good. After having the 2500s up for sale on the club site and getting a few people wanting loads of photos prior to viewing and not hearing back, it sold on car and classic i one day with no quibble cash. Within a week for the gt6 a few years back, whereas ebay, nothing but muppets.

I start with 'Triumph Herald' then narrow it down to 'Vehicle parts and accessories' and then usually 'UK' to remove the ads for kettles, phone chargers and catalytic converters all of which allegedly fit Heralds. Too many these days are 'collection only' which is no fun. (I posted a Herald bonnet via my local Post Office many years ago, that must have been fun at the other end...)

Gumtree is full of idiots; I replied to an ad for outdoor furniture earlier in the week - "must sell urgently" then got a reply to say that she'd had so much interest she'd bumped the price up by almost 50%. It's still unsold.

I also have a mountain of equestrian waste that we always dispose of through Garden Centres or the like so usually advertise it for free to anyone who will collect; got a reply earlier this morning stating they'd take it if I deliver. That's the whole point of the ad... "Collect for free"...

The more interesting ones are when the browser just picks up on Triumph, everything from cars bikes an ladies underwear!!😂

Sat in hospital car park killing time
Pete

35 minutes ago, PeteH said:

everything from cars bikes an ladies underwear!!😂

Especially when you get a photo of some flimsy undie or other and the listing says: 'fits Triumph Herald'.... :)

The MP caught surfing dodgy stuff recently says he was looking for tractors but when he put the first few letters in, it took him somewhere else. I started to look for 'Triumph' the other day and as soon as I entered the first two letters T and R I got a popup message: "Before you proceed, are you in the House of Commons'?

'Or Best Offer' is a strange affair sometimes... if I see an item starting at £10 'or best offer' I might offer £8, however some times the seller expects a lot more than his starting bid and so expect offers of £40 or £50... you just don't know until you try an offer and it gets rejected.

32 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

'Or Best Offer' is a strange affair sometimes... if I see an item starting at £10 'or best offer' I might offer £8, however some times the seller expects a lot more than his starting bid and so expect offers of £40 or £50... you just don't know until you try an offer and it gets rejected.

On this i have offered more if i want it, for a still good price for both or under if i want it but only as a bargain price or if it was well over priced. 

I find Gumtree very confusing, the ad has a price and it says contact the seller, I put in a offer but there's no feedback, the ad sometimes stays weeks before vanishing

I'm interested in a Dolly 3 rail gearbox at the moment rare here in Vic, I put in an offer twice the quoted price, ad says here's been two offers, seller says he's got other gearbox's and will contact me later! why can't he accept the offer or tell me he's got a better offer, or say what he wants?

2 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

I find Gumtree very confusing, the ad has a price and it says contact the seller, I put in a offer but there's no feedback, the ad sometimes stays weeks before vanishing

I'm interested in a Dolly 3 rail gearbox at the moment rare here in Vic, I put in an offer twice the quoted price, ad says here's been two offers, seller says he's got other gearbox's and will contact me later! why can't he accept the offer or tell me he's got a better offer, or say what he wants?

And miss an opportunity to muck you about. Don't worry about it being gumtree, had that on our own website add's. Asked what they wanted, offered what they wanted and was still mucked about to the point i bought elsewhere. 

There are some sellers who expect to be knocked down. If you offer them what they ask, they immediately think they've undervalued the item. Which means they could get more for it! Oh NO! I'm LOSING OUT! Must demand more... but already quoted this price to this guy so... aaargh! Only one thing to do. Mess him around until he goes away then ask more from the next mug.

26 minutes ago, NonMember said:

There are some sellers who expect to be knocked down. If you offer them what they ask, they immediately think they've undervalued the item. Which means they could get more for it! Oh NO! I'm LOSING OUT! Must demand more... but already quoted this price to this guy so... aaargh! Only one thing to do. Mess him around until he goes away then ask more from the next mug.

Thats the other guys problem. I make a deal and stick to it. I offered less but he stuck to his price and at the time i needed it so agreed. Much fobbing off of collection dates, considering i needed to hire a van . In the end i found it cheaper elsewhere, they rang me the day i was collecting the elsewhere item, i still would have got it but they changed the deal. They know who they are.

I got caught / scammed once on eBay and thankfully only once... I sold a musical instrument to a guy in England, got just over £200, posted it off, and three days later got a message from the buyer to tell me it was 'unplayable'. I'd used it in a recording only three days before but he claimed it needed a new bridge and various other things done to the frets, and his local instrument-bodger had told him that it would cost £112 to have put right. He demanded the £112 or else he'd make a complaint to eBay, I'd have to pay for the return and he'd already had the work carried out on it so the money was owed... what to do? I had fifteen years of clean feedback at that point and didn't need any hassle so in the end I just refunded him the money he asked for. If the instrument had been returned I'd no idea what state it would be in, he could have damaged it himself and claimed it was already damaged when it arrived... so I just had to bite the bullet. I hope he's happy with it.

same thing , sold a pair of rebuilt su carbs and manifold for a mk 2 spitfire, buyer came back said his garage had told him they needed rebuilding . i told him no way give me your garage phone number no reply then he sends  email asking for half his money back my reply no way . then i get a dispute claim from ebay saying i must pay for return post costs case against me. i phoned ebay saying his garage had the carbs apart not interested, said if i did not offer partial refund or pay postage and accept a return they would take the money from my account . seller beware on ebay/ first problem in 20 years

Yep, they almost allways side with the buyer. Though have not known them on the sellers side. With the long distance selling rules your on a sticky wicket when selling. My last lot was for collection only, narrows the sales but the risk as well. Sold a set of hs4s on ebay, only to find the seller wanted them posted to Italy! When it was collection only! Cancelled immediately despite there email telling me to send them.

On 05/05/2022 at 14:50, Chris A said:

Are you still allowed to do that? At my age 'time' is a protected species 🤪

On this ocasion SWMBO was the protected species. Big sigh of relief as the results where negative. 👍 So (Just) ongoing blood tests and Pet Scan to come.

Pete

44 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Cat or dog 🤔

SWMBO. (Positron emission tomography (PET) scans produce detailed 3-dimensional images of the inside of the body.)

Mind, I think our dog needs a Brain scan!! to see if it`s even got one!. Nearly got run over this morning, I opened the door to get her into the car and she shot accross the road in front of a car!!. SWMBO was`nt pleased with her (or me😭 as "obviously" I am to blame!😉).

Pete.