Mk3 vs Squaretail B-Post Caps

Josef

At one point when my Spitfire was away from home I spent a lot of time looking for / trying to decide what to do about b-post trims. Now I’m getting close to actually need to fit them I’m confused. I have two pairs of what I think are the correct ones for the Mk3 (right hand side in pictures) and a single one that I think is for later cars (left in photos). First question is, am I right as to which nominally suits which car? Then after that, anyone fitted the ‘wrong’ ones? Test fitting, it looks like the one I think is for the squaretails goes on fine. I’m guessing the extra clearance in the Mk3 version is for something to do with the hardtop? In which case I may as well buy and fit some new MkIV/1500 ones as nothing of what I have is really in good condition. 

3522B7B5-E0DF-4484-9F76-8C27D449D895.jpeg

F2E27204-7F9A-4D0A-8CC3-3677EB82A841.jpeg

Well, that has confused me. I knew I had a pair of these in the garage, from either a MKiv or a 1500... certainly nothing earlier that I'm aware of. I thought I'd be able to confirm the correct one for later cars, only to find:

IMG_2486.thumb.jpeg.6da1086c6b4b52946772f04be0f002f1.jpeg

So unless the car had one of each, one large on one side and one small on the other, I've no idea how I got a mixed set. BUT: I've had a quick search online and wider is for the MK3, narrow for the later cars.

That is what I thought, but I was doubting myself as I couldn’t figure out what the extra width was actually for. From squinting at the pictures in the Thomason originality guide last night I think that the extra width in the capping is a carry over from the Mk2 which had a thicker trim for the edge of the hood well that then needed to be accommodated under the b-post trim. 

Conclusion is I think the later ones will fit so I’ll buy a new shiny pair of those. I have one pair of Mk3 ones that are beyond saving, and one pair that might be saveable with a lot of work. On top of that the later trim looks a neater fit, on my car at least!