Fuel gauge / sender troubles

Gadgetman

Does anyone know what the sender resistance value is at full and empty?

My tank reads 1/4 when empty and over full when full. My sender range is 25 ohms and 188 ohms . My tank is a bayonet type but someone has adapted a 6 hole sender to fit it!

(1966 1600 vitesse)

as a 66 1600 its non stabilised  ???  gauges   with slow needle movement , 

dont have a non stabilised float to check but 188 rings a bell,  

a stabilised float is 18 to 256 ohms

its common for a six hole old stye to be cut down to fit in a later bayonet ring tank.

would bending the arm correct the readings 

Pete

Tried bending the arm but when ithe arm is on the bottom stop the gauge still reads 1/4 full and it is as if it needs more resistance to read zero. I will get behind the panel to see if there is a stabiliser on the speedo. The gauge needles do move slowly though.

If she's stabilised you need a sender with the above values

you cant mix the slow needle thermo bimetal Stabilsed voltage gauges with the older moving iron rapid moving needles the ohm values are wildly different and will reverse the readings

temp senders are also very different none can be inter mixed

both fuel and temp readings are dependant on the stabilsed voltage of 10 volts

if its failed you get strange readings .

rapid needle gauges dont need a stabilised voltage as they have two coils and changes in voltage doesnt affect the readings

pete

slow moving non stabilised  is a bit  'odd'  

non stabilised do have two coils inside and some can be adjusted to move the needle  , but you say slow moving 

coiled gauges normally fly up immediately to the reading and the fuel gauge tends to waggle about as you drive ,

stabilised tend to take  a few minutes to get to their reading as the small heater coil inside has to warm the bi metal strip which  bends and moves the needle

needle damping on non stabilised is usually a dob of sticky grease on the needle spindle , but they respond as soon as switched on

just some thoughts  Pete

My Mk 3 GT6 has exactly the same issue. With the sender unit float in the empty position the gauge reads one quarter full. That's with a separate gauge and slow moving needle! The resistance question is one I've been meaning to ask - will give mine a check.

Gully

Think 2201 is stabilised non stab is2333 data is bit limited with old smiths numbers

So is this back to your slow moving needle needs a stabilised voltage

if its not fitted on the back of the speedo thats where you need to refine just whats fitted

You could have a non stabilised car thats been fitted with a stabilised gauge

it will never match up with the sender

pete

• Like 1

Right...... I pulled the fuel gauge and trasmitter, set them up on the bench with a variable power supply. I set the volts to 11.8 to simulate what was happening in the car. Sure enough over full at full and 1/4 tank at empty.

The power supply was reset to 10 volts to simulate a voltage stabilizer supply. This time it read full and empty!

It looks like a gauge and transmitter from a later voltage regulator car was fitted at some point in its history. The next thing will be to check the temp gauge to see if that is a 10 volt gauge as well. Either way i'm going to be fitting a voltage stabilizer even if it only goes to the fuel gauge.

Then you may find the sender is not compatible

stabilised bi metal and moving Iron senders are quite diferent

if it works then you have a stabilised sender as well just missing the stabiliser to pull the voltage down

as for the temp gauge stabilised use sender GTR108 and non stab moving iron use 121997

again cant be mixed or you get silly readings

pete