trunnion oiling, greasing and inspection. and now trunnion v trunnionless ??

21 minutes ago, Pettifordo said:

So oil on the front ones but Zinc based grease on the back - right ?

Not quite.

If you refer back to the diagram in the manual page that Alan posted a few posts after what you quoted, you will see that the front "trunnion" has two parts to it; the deep threaded main body (into which the vertical link screws) and the horizontal pivot (through which a crush tube and nylon bushes go, between the wishbone arms). The vertical link threaded part is an oil bath and should be filled with EP90 gear oil. There's a blanking plug (or an oil nipple) on the vertical link to allow this to be re-filled as a regular service operation. The nylon bushes, which are the same as the rear ones, should be lubricated with zinc based grease on assembly but have no easy facility for in-service re-lubrication. Copper grease is good for the bolt that goes through the crush tube, but check its plastic-compatibility before using it on the nylon bushes.

Definitely a PO mod. I did this on my motor cycle swinging arms as the factory one just filled the frame never getting to where it was needed.

As stated by one of you, it would have to align with another mod to get grease to where it is needed.

Well I said the new grease nipple would have to align with a hole in the plastic bush but of course thats wrong as the bush is in two halves so as long as the hole is half way along the housing any grease pumped in should spread both ways between the bush and crush tube. Wont help the bolt to resist seizing but should prolong the life of the bush👍

as the two bush halves are pretty much  compressed together to effectively get any grease to surrond the bush or the tube it would need some 

man made relief adding or you are surely pumping grease up a blind alley  ....  one of those bright ideas that probably doesnt work that well 

Pete

Well I suppose it depends on the manufacturer of the bushes but the sectional diagrams of both front and rear trunnions in my WSM show a gap of a few mm between the two halves when installed and that would allow grease to then flow out each way between bush and crush tube. In fact if the crush tube had a small hole drilled in it midway it looks like grease would then also be forced between it and the clamp bolt🙂

• 3 months later...

easiest way is to use a standard trigger oil can, take the grease nipple out and squirt the oil in. I usually put and allen key under the top seal and put oil in until it runs out. There is zero need for the pressure from a grease gun except to open the grease nipple, unless they are already full of grease in which case they should be stripped and cleaned

• Thanks 1

Just now, johny said:

'Unless youre completely sure its a brand thats ok for yellow metal' I think is the previously hard won agreed answer😁

Yep agreed, but trying to get the data sheets on some of these GL5's is impossible, and if you do get them, they are inconclusive.  I have tried, and being a major automotive customer of these products, its tilll impossible, the companies simply won't commit.

GL5 (of any composition) is fine for oiling trunions !!!

GL5 compositions that are NOT "yellow metal friendly" only become a problem when they get very hot and are under extreme shear stresses - as one gets in a differential.

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/brochures/g2457_gearlube_study.pdf

ALL GL5 compositions CAN cause problems with brass synchro rings in the gearbox.

https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

• Thanks 1

Why persue the GL5 argument when it cannot be used in the gearbox or diff ie GL4 is specified SO why keep any GL5 on your shelf for it's potential use is solely in the trunnions & maybe the rack & pinion steering, just keep GL4 it does it all duties!  

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

I run a standard spitfire with trunnions and a modified one with the conversion. Both work well but on my modified one i would be worried how long they would last. 

You worry that the trunnionless will wear?

Mine have been on for a mere 30K or therebouts. They get the very occasional squirt of wd40 as recommended by CC, but I doubt it is even yearly (must try harder!)

No signs of any wear. And my car is not cosseted. 

Others have probably done much higher mileages on them, or seek the experience of Caterham owners, where the design comes from.