New shock absorbers for rear of Vitesse Mk2 2L with chassis mounted extension brackets and rotoflex

Hi everyone, we have just returned from a great afternoon drive in the Vitesse, which was spoilt by the banging and crashing from the rear suspension that was giving a rock hard ride. The car when purchased was fitted with Spax adjustable dampers and despite setting them on fully soft they are really hard and probably not working too well, so I would like to replace them with simple, non adjustable shocks, but of a good quality, such as Koni or Monroe. So folks the question is do you know which rear shocks are correct with a reference number,and a direct replacement for the rotoflex, rear extension bracket chassis? Also where I might be able to purchase them.  It was sad to see that the club only stocks the expensive adjustable ones and not the simple original type ones, I don't need an adjustable damper as I don't race or rally and mainly just potter about when the weather permits. Thanking you in advance for your help. 

Pat.

8 minutes ago, PatK said:

Hi everyone, we have just returned from a great afternoon drive in the Vitesse, which was spoilt by the banging and crashing from the rear suspension that was giving a rock hard ride. The car when purchased was fitted with Spax adjustable dampers and despite setting them on fully soft they are really hard and probably not working too well, so I would like to replace them with simple, non adjustable shocks, but of a good quality, such as Koni or Monroe. So folks the question is do you know which rear shocks are correct with a reference number,and a direct replacement for the rotoflex, rear extension bracket chassis? Also where I might be able to purchase them.  It was sad to see that the club only stocks the expensive adjustable ones and not the simple original type ones, I don't need an adjustable damper as I don't race or rally and mainly just potter about when the weather permits. Thanking you in advance for your help. 

Pat.

I’ve got the Club set up with Gaz adjustable . Set to level 2 they are spot on . Any higher the rear passenger gets bounced everywhere 

Paul 

Thanks Paul, but as you see, the rest of the settings are way too hard, that's why I don't want adjustable ones, just simple ones like were originally fitted to give a smooth compliant ride.

Thanks Paul

Pat

32 minutes ago, PatK said:

Thanks Paul, but as you see, the rest of the settings are way too hard, that's why I don't want adjustable ones, just simple ones like were originally fitted to give a smooth compliant ride.

Thanks Paul

Pat

Do a search on the forum, Gary did a thread about the shocks.  I think the correct length are from a mini but with a bush change. Some supply a non roto spit/mk1 vitesse etc shocks, but it is too long.

I'm not totally 100% sure of this but: If it's the standard chassis bracket adapters you have then that's a common fitment to the GT6 Mk3 roto. And that in turn has a standard shock that is common fitment to Spitfire. And that is commonly listed as GDA4011; generic versions are available around £40 pair.

A smaller supplier like Quiller Triumph may be more helpful than the big names (Rimmers, Moss) in sorting out what's right. Tel: 01825 873551  Email: quillertriumph@gmail.com

I've got 'generics' on the back of my GT6 and they're fine for day-to-day driving conditions.

9 minutes ago, chrishawley said:

I'm not totally 100% sure of this but: If it's the standard chassis bracket adapters you have then that's a common fitment to the GT6 Mk3 roto. And that in turn has a standard shock that is common fitment to Spitfire. And that is commonly listed as GDA4011; generic versions are available around £40 pair.

A smaller supplier like Quiller Triumph may be more helpful than the big names (Rimmers, Moss) in sorting out what's right. Tel: 01825 873551  Email: quillertriumph@gmail.com

I've got 'generics' on the back of my GT6 and they're fine for day-to-day driving conditions.

Thank you Chris that was most helpful and yes I do have the standard chassis bracket adapters on my 1970 Mk2 rotoflex Vitesse, so I will go down the route that you have given me.  Thanks Chris.   Pat

30 minutes ago, chrishawley said:

If it's the standard chassis bracket adapters you have then that's a common fitment to the GT6 Mk3 roto. And that in turn has a standard shock that is common fitment to Spitfire.

Not quite. The standard Spitfire shock is too long, as clive pointed out, with the change of angle from the extension bracket. It may work if your ride height is a little higher than normal but most people find they bottom out far too readily.

Thank you for your reply, but now I'm a little confused, if the standard spitfire shocker is a little too long, then what is the correct one for the GT6 Mk3 with the same chassis extension brackets and rotoflex as the Vitresse?  Or does it mean that this part of the GT6 is different to the Vitesse ( 1970 2L Mk2 ).  Thanks.  Pat

As Clive said, the correct shock for a Rotoflex car (either Vitesse or GT6) with the chassis extension brackets is NOT a standard Triumph part, but rather a Mini one with some mods. That's why the brackets are sold in a kit with adjustable shocks - because they're effectively a custom part.

Pat

I built chassis extension brackets for my GT6 Mk2 as per the attached drawing. These do the same thing as the proprietary brackets, but also achieve the correct fore and aft position to line up with the bottom mount.

Used with Koni 80-1717 dampers (292mm open, 216mm closed) - usually sold for the front of a classic mini. The bushes had to be drilled out slightly, but were supplied with thick wall tubes.

PS I see you are Dorset-shout if you want to meet up to have a look.

PPS I also had a bad experience of 'adjustable' SPAX.

Ian

GT6-Damper Bracket.pdf

44 minutes ago, NonMember said:

As Clive said, the correct shock for a Rotoflex car (either Vitesse or GT6) with the chassis extension brackets is NOT a standard Triumph part, but rather a Mini one with some mods. That's why the brackets are sold in a kit with adjustable shocks - because they're effectively a custom part.

Thank you for the info, it looks like I am going to have to modify the Koni 80-1717 shocks.  Pat

Hi Patrick

Here's a link to the Company I got the Koni 80-1717 Dampers off

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwimyPCjodL3AhVLZcAKHV4ZBu8QFnoECA8QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Flarkspeed.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw0L9ZbmPjxxsHPFFR4_Z9v1

PS - I have replied to your E-Mail with all the Info on how I fitted them to my old Vitesse?

Regards 

Gary

22 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

Pat

I built chassis extension brackets for my GT6 Mk2 as per the attached drawing. These do the same thing as the proprietary brackets, but also achieve the correct fore and aft position to line up with the bottom mount.

Used with Koni 80-1717 dampers (292mm open, 216mm closed) - usually sold for the front of a classic mini. The bushes had to be drilled out slightly, but were supplied with thick wall tubes.

PS I see you are Dorset-shout if you want to meet up to have a look.

PPS I also had a bad experience of 'adjustable' SPAX.

Ian

GT6-Damper Bracket.pdf 27.48 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you Ian, that is most helpful. Trouble is Ian, i don't have the ability or skill to manufacture similar brackets at the moment, but I will keep the excellent drawings for reference and may be able to find someone local to make them. Many Thanks Ian.  Pat

9 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Hi Patrick

Here's a link to the Company I got the Koni 80-1717 Dampers off

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwimyPCjodL3AhVLZcAKHV4ZBu8QFnoECA8QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Flarkspeed.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw0L9ZbmPjxxsHPFFR4_Z9v1

PS - I have replied to your E-Mail with all the Info on how I fitted them to my old Vitesse?

Regards 

Gary

Thank you Gary, for all the info, it was just what I needed and it was kind of you to spend so much time doing it. I think that I will do as you have done with the Koni 80-1717s. Many Thanks again Gary.   Pat

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PatK said:

Thank you Gary, for all the info, it was just what I needed and it was kind of you to spend so much time doing it. I think that I will do as you have done with the Koni 80-1717s. Many Thanks again Gary.   Pat

Patrick

No Problem, I had saved all the relevant information anyway

One thing to bear in mind is to make sure the rest of the rear suspension is in good order, in particular the rear Wishbone Trunnion Bushes/Bolts aren't seized and also the rear Spring is serviceable with no broken leaves.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on?

Regards

Gary  

Pat, If you converted from Rotoflex donuts to CV Driveshafts you can use the original top mounts on the chassis and thus 'standard' length shocks. You only needed the top mount bolt- on adapter brackets if you retain roto driveshafts. The brackets move the shock top mounts out to clear the donut. I have recently done this on my Vit MK 2. I initially put the Gaz shocks from the club on, but found them way too hard, even at min setting. I reused a pair of Konis ( specced for Vit Mk 1) that we're still in good nick. It gives a nice compliant ride. 

Gav

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trigolf said:

Pat, If you converted from Rotoflex donuts to CV Driveshafts you can use the original top mounts on the chassis and thus 'standard' length shocks. You only needed the top mount bolt- on adapter brackets if you retain roto driveshafts. The brackets move the shock top mounts out to clear the donut. I have recently done this on my Vit MK 2. I initially put the Gaz shocks from the club on, but found them way too hard, even at min setting. I reused a pair of Konis ( specced for Vit Mk 1) that we're still in good nick. It gives a nice compliant ride. 

Gav

Thanks for your advice, perhaps I'm lucky, but the rotoflex doughnuts on my car are in a very good condition, there are no cracks in the rubber even with the suspension on full droop.  I had considered going for the CV driveshafts, and will go that way when the rotoflex show signs of deterioration. Thanks for your advice again.   Pat

Just to add…. I’ve run standard, non-adjustable Armstrong dampers intended for a Herald (or any other swing-axle car) on my roto Vitesse for 30 + years with no issues at all. This using chassis extension brackets copied from a TSSC one many years ago.

Its possible that not all manufacturers “equivalents” are identical lengths but they ought to be close.

The GT6 roto ones are definitely too long (and rather hard to find).

Agree with your assessment of the Spax btw. Had a pair briefly on my GT6 and the ride was spine-crunching!

Nick

(South Somerset, nr Dorset)