J type o/d odd behaviour

AlanT

Solenoid is off. Ground down spanner method. 
Connected it straight to battery. Silence. Doesn’t rattle when shaken either. 
Given the o/d works from cold It must be sticking/seals/dirt vs electrical failure. I’ll strip, clean, replace seals.

Quite a bit of oil dribbling out without the solenoid in place. Better buy some more to top-up.

Alan

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

might take a good tap on the bench to get the piston out

In my experience "a good tap" is a bit of an understatement!  With every one I've resealed a tap would get the piston to the end of the cylinder but getting the old, hard O ring to let it pop out farther required 'a little more effort' and 'a lot more swearing'.

It WILL come out in the end though.

Got it apart after a bit of ‘robust’ tapping onto wooden bench. My rebuild kit (Paddicks) has the 2 outer seals but is lacking the three small piston seals (pictured). Anyone know where to get them please? Thanks 

0E453807-D653-4D37-B385-142F720C23CF.jpeg

3 hours ago, AlanT said:

Don’t bother @Mathew They have also ignored my email about the crap solenoid spanner. Won’t use them again. Stick to my tried and trusted.

If you bought the OD seal kit, it would indeed have the seals for fitting the solenoid to the OD, but not to rebuild the solenoid. I believe kits ARE available for that, although I don't think they include the spring (from memory) 

Give Paddocks a call, they really are rather good at customer service when I had a (minor) issue with an order, resolved instantly and correct part sent by next day delivery.

• Like 1

The solenoid seals are just O rings and the sizes are on one of the Triumph sites, so I just bought some on eBay (making sure they were at least listed as oil resistant).

Just checked buying history and looks like you want some BS007, some BS010 and some BS014 Nitrile O rings.  That's the 'full set' but shoudn't take too much research to work out which ones you have/which you are missing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mjit said:

The solenoid seals are just O rings and the sizes are on one of the Triumph sites, so I just bought some on eBay (making sure they were at least listed as oil resistant).

Just checked buying history and looks like you want some BS007, some BS010 and some BS014 Nitrile O rings.  That's the 'full set' but shoudn't take too much research to work out which ones you have/which you are missing.

Hi @Mjit All of £10 from Bearing Boys. Thanks so much. I got the calipers out to check sizes to be sure.

Fingers crossed! Massive saving over a new solenoid (does the ‘maracas’ fine now the stuck piston is out/works when on battery @Pete Lewis).

On 18/05/2022 at 19:39, daverclasper said:

Seem to remember the dimensions are on the Buckeye site to make a tool.

I used a punch and hammer to undo. Undid the Filter and Pressure Relief Valve plugs. Were a bit tight (or at least one of them) as I remember

Thanks for all the replies on the tool required to remove the filter plate and two others behind the overdrive sump plate. My concern with using the "punch, and other improvised pliers" etc, is that on replacing the cover plates you can`t tighten to the correct torques as specified in the WSM?

Also these cover plates haven't seen the light of day for 23 years so suggest the maybe quite tight? Guess this is why I would be making something similar to the L354L tool with a nut for the torque wrench.

Regards, Colin. 

8 hours ago, Mjit said:

My memory isn't great, though I thought it was 2 larger for the OD body and 2 smaller for the piston?.

16 hours ago, daverclasper said:

My memory isn't great, though I thought it was 2 larger for the OD body and 2 smaller for the piston?.

Neither is my memory - what I listed is what my eBay buying history told me I bought, not necessarily what I actually ended up using.  It's quite possible one of those three little zip bags is sat completely unused in the garage :)

O

21 hours ago, AlanT said:

All of £10 from Bearing Boys. Thanks so much. I got the calipers out to check sizes to be sure.

£10 seems steep to me...and checking mine were £5.87 inc. postage for 10 of each.

New seals are in and I’ve tested it off the car. Rattles when shaken, clicks when connected, piston moves a couple of mm when connected.

Better get it back on the car then! Saturday’s activity. 

7E50CBDE-029B-4265-82CA-840860297F0F.jpeg

• Like 1