Oil Pressure Relief Valve . . . Herald 1147cc (1970 - original engine)

Colin

59 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes, but the oil doesn't. Unless there's some amazing new oil that's just hit the market we go over the same range of track day / fast road / tootling about / synthetic versus mineral / ZDDP content again and again, with charts and graphs added in to illustrate what the stuff does. Can't we just have a sticky thread on it at the top of the relevant section that can be added to as required?

No objection to great discussions but some times they just seem to repeat what's in the previous topic, and it just seems 'neater' to add to existing rather than start a new one.

I agree Colin, but relative newcomers like me do have bother finding the most relevant old thread. They nearly all drift off topic. My fault too!

53 minutes ago, Wagger said:

I agree Colin, but relative newcomers like me do have bother finding the most relevant old thread. They nearly all drift off topic. My fault too!

Agreed... my humble reply is that I wouldn't want to cause that sort of problem! Especially with the search issues I've been having myself.

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes, but the oil doesn't. Unless there's some amazing new oil that's just hit the market we go over the same range of track day / fast road / tootling about / synthetic versus mineral / ZDDP content again and again, with charts and graphs added in to illustrate what the stuff does. Can't we just have a sticky thread on it at the top of the relevant section that can be added to as required?

No objection to great discussions but some times they just seem to repeat what's in the previous topic, and it just seems 'neater' to add to existing rather than start a new one.

Opinion.
Still people buy high priced obsolete spec oil as pushed by some people on here.
ZDDP myths as well. LOL. 🤣.
A sicky would be a good idea to stop the spread of Bull kak  by some members.

Understanding of the PRV would help?

Cheers,

Iain.

8 hours ago, Wagger said:

My most recent 'Moderns' have had one Viscous fan and one electric. That way, minimal sapping of power until required and both operated on a hot day when in a motorway queue. It should be very easy to fit a viscous fan, BUT then not possible o pull the engine over to do tappets and timing. Grr! Can still put it in gear though.

My Land Rover discovery 3 had a viscous fan - but it could also be electronically controlled to speed up if demanded by things such as the AC compressor. I think it used a PWM signal to heat the viscous element to make it drive.

One man's 'bull kak' is another man's fertiliser. Got a bit fed up with all the 'bull kak' about this oil and that oil and old and modern and science and heaven knows what. How many of our engines, under normal use have been damaged by the oil we use. For the mileage many of us do might as well use sunflower oil..if you can find any!!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

One man's 'bull kak' is another man's fertiliser. Got a bit fed up with all the 'bull kak' about this oil and that oil and old and modern and science and heaven knows what. How many of our engines, under normal use have been damaged by the oil we use. For the mileage many of us do might as well use sunflower oil..if you can find any!!

Hi,

I had used sunflower oil in my clutch hydraulics for nearly two years with no problem.
Vegetable oil was/is a choice for high performance engines. Not for me when inexpensive synthetic oils are available that surpass the recommended Kak of the day.

Only a fool would use Sunflower oil in the engine. What is your point BadWolf?

Cheers,
Iain.

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

My Land Rover discovery 3 had a viscous fan - but it could also be electronically controlled to speed up if demanded by things such as the AC compressor. I think it used a PWM signal to heat the viscous element to make it drive.

My 1972 BMW2500 had a fan with a 'Waxstat' operated clutch.

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

My most recent 'Moderns' have had one Viscous fan and one electric. That way, minimal sapping of power until required and both operated on a hot day when in a motorway queue

The electric fan is off consuming no power until reqd, the viscous fan is always turning just not restricting air flow so minimal drag & power loss until temp rises, but still some load, try stopping the viscous fan from rotating!!! Don't esp with fingers!.

I still prefer the elect fan as it'll spin at 3000rpm vs a viscous which could spin faster than engine revs but only proportional to the fan and crank pulley dia's. The fan dia and blade angle will determine the CFM throughput and hence load & cooling potential!

Most modern car Elect fans are speed controlled, the wife's Jag has two big elect fans one AC and other cooling and are speed controlled you should hear them on a 40C day like high speed turbines or a helicopter hovering directly over the car, what a racket. On a record  45C day a few years ago the fan speed controller electronics fried fortunately at max speed with both fans, so subsequently when the AC was switched on all fans went to max until the controller was replaced, but Jag had changed the wiring from controller to fan integral wiring to two separate wiring looms with plugs each end one for each fan which reqd the fans to be removed to fit plugs a bugger of a job!