Wanted - Early Herald/Spitfire Type A Differential or Standard 10/Pennant Axle

Hi guys I am looking for an early differential from an 1147cc Herald/Spitfire

My car is actually a 1955 Standard 8 but according to the information I have a Herald type A differential will fit my car - the serial numbers should be prefixed with G, GA for the Heralds or FC up to 120000 for the Spitfires with the 4.11:1 ratio.

Alternatively if anyone has or knows of a Standard 10 or Pennant Axle would be helpful.

Many thanks Eric

Have you tried the usual suspect breakers? Spitbitz, Spitfire Graveyard etc. I would expect these doffs won’t be that uncommon. Also, Mike Papworth would be the most likely source for a good reconditioned one. 
Also, I’ll be seeing a good chunk of the NE local area tomorrow, and I remember someone having a large diff collection, so I will ask for you.

Hi Johny, I have been able to get a collection of 4 old Herald differentials, once I get them home, I will see what I have got.

The guys from the SMC forum never mentioned any differences or issues but thanks to your words of warning I will be on the look out for any potential issues. 

The thing is, if I have parts, I have things to work with and if needed get reconditioned by people who know what they are doing - because I would rather do bomb disposal than mess with a gearbox or differential or worse still try to set up twin or triple carburettors.

There is another line of thinking which was miss quoted by Bill Shakespeare about King Richard the 3rd who reportedly said “a horse a horse my kingdom for a horse” - what he actually said was “the horse is no good get me a mechanic” - I have a good mechanic!

Thanks for your interest and help

Eric

• Haha 1

Hi Joseph and Johny

Hi Joseph, sorry I did not get back to you yesterday - I tried Spitfire Graveyard and Johnyjumble but not Spitbitz, the first two got back to me with sorry but no answers, so they stay on my list of potential suppliers the other one does not reply to my emails - I gave up on them a while ago so no I did not try them.

I contacted Mike Papworth, I am waiting for a reply from him

Johny - I have sent a number of Emails to 8and10 spares, but I cannot get hold of the owner Tony. I will try again later this week because Tony is an encyclopaedia of information, he is very helpful and seems to be a top man, I am concerned for him. One of his email address does not work and his phone number has not been any help. 

Cheers boys

Eric

• Like 1

Hi Joseph I have tried a lot of places, I am now starting to forget who I have spoken to, but I know I did look at TD Fitchett, I think they said they would/could recondition the whole axle at a price and fit a new Herald 4.11 differential - that is my plan B option - if I cannot sort out the differential myself they are on my list!

Canley Classics - thanks for the information, I will be in touch.

Eric