Headlight relay and wiring positions, I'm so confused!!! GT6

patscat

Me again. sorry.

GT6 with old fixed beam headlights, one blew so I've got new bulb type headlights with relays to replace them both, bought from Rimmers, came with 2 pages of instructions that I've tried my best to decipher and have come to a point where I want to tear my hair out......

My main questions are these:

1. where do I put the relays (I mean nearer the front of the bonnet or nearer the battery on the bulkhead)?

2. am I replacing wiring or adding into the existing wiring? If adding in then where do I do this? I've replaced the headlight units and the original wiring between the headlight units and where they connected together right up in the nose of the bonnet is fine. I'll add pics. Do I connect the relays in at this point up under the bonnet or does is connect in somewhere else? Can you tell I'm confused yet? 

I think I've made sense of the wiring diagram but then I can't see where the black earth wires from the headlight units connect into the new wiring? Do I even need to change that at all? How does this connect to the switch top make the things work?

Pic 1: existing original wiring before I took anything apart, tucked up under the nose of the bonnet.  Pic 2: Where the wiring passes through the bulkhead.  Pic 3: the solenoid with a fair few wire attached, what's relevant to this? Do I add (I know the new brown needs to attach here) but do I remove anything?  Pic 4: Rimmers diagram  Pic 5: My version to try and make sense of it.....

Please help before I lose the will to live.  Keep it simple!!!!

Ta,

Jess

PXL_20241012_143101055.jpg

PXL_20241026_102233350.jpg

PXL_20241026_102240909.jpg

PXL_20241026_172041732.MP.jpg

PXL_20241026_172059994.MP.jpg

Hi Johny, I've got more pics of what's there that I'll post in the other thread, I only get an hour at a time on a Saturday to work on the car due to kids etc (and only when it's dry) so it's going to be slow progress. Today was refitting a headlight and trying in vain to work out what I'm supposed to do with all these wires.....

First Jess are you sure this kit is intended for GT6? From what I can see on Rimmers theyre for the TR range which dont have the headlamps attached to the bonnet so its much easier to find a suitable location for the relays close by, which is what the instructions recommend.

The other thing is that technology has moved on from the days of halogen upgrades so have you looked into the very good direct fit LEDs available now? These have great light output but dont draw much current (less even than the sealed beam units) so the original wiring, if in good condition, is more than sufficient and avoids the need for new fuses, relays and large cables (all more to go wrong).... 

Finally theres a mistake, as youve noted, in the instructions diagram because all the wiring at each relay must of course keep the same red/blue and blue/white colours👍  

Rimmers assured me this kit was suitable for a GT6 so I've got to trust them really. Also I've spent the money now so I feel like I've got to go with it. 

So should relay 1 have all blue/red and relay 2 have all blue/white? Regardless of thickness of wire? 

Do I leave the black earth wires from the headlight units into the original loom alone?