D-type overdrive wiring query

Andrew Palmer

Hi everyone. I am just fitting wiring for my D-type overdrive.

According to the wiring diagram, the brown wire should go to ignition terminal 2 and the white wire should go to ignition terminal 3.

On my car, the current set up is this:  the brown piggybacks on the brown at the solenoid and the white piggybacks on the white at the ballast resistor.

Is that just as good? -- And, if not, where do I take the brown and white wires through the bulkhead?

Thanks.

Andrew

6 hours ago, Andrew Palmer said:

the brown piggybacks on the brown at the solenoid and the white piggybacks on the white at the ballast resistor.

Hello Andrew,

In essence that is the same set-up as the wiring diagram

The brown will be live non-ignition and I presume it was piggy backed either because no space left in the fuse box or a "that will do option". Does the OD brown wire actually have it's own direct connection on to the solenoid ?? If so that is fine.

The white wire going to the ballast will be the same as T3, again that is a quick option. You really should run the white wire direct to T3 on the switch.

I'm no fan of piggy back wiring. It is either direct to the intended terminal or the use of the proper Lucas bullet connectors to spur off.

As for feeding the wires through, there a number of options on all Triumph cars, I would go for the one that protects the wiring best via a rubber grommet. In fact you may well have a wire or two using such - if so I'd look at putting the wires through there if safe to do so and is within decent access of the terminal point. However, that said is it not just the white wire you need to feed through the bulk head ??

Hopefully I have read your post correctly and answered accordingly.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much for this info.

The new harness I got from Rimmers has the white and brown wires taped together and both long enough to reach the ignition terminals, so I figure they meant for both to go through the bulkhead.

The current brown OD wire is piggybacked at the solenoid. So, all in all, I reckon I'll try and do the job properly and pass the wires through to the ignition terminals.

Thanks again.