Steel gauge for GT6 boot felt repair

Alan C

Hi Everyone

I need to weld in a repair patch on the GT6's boot flloor where it meets the driver's side rear wing. Can someone tell me the gauge of steel for the job.

The passenger side is solid and has a large drain hole whereas the driver's side does not. I suspect water has gathered as a result and caused the damage. The rust is in the curved section just before the flloor takes a 90 degree bend up to the spare wheel well.

This 'll be a good repair for me to rekindle my welding skills after three decades away from Technical College.

Cheers Alan

1mm thick Alan. You will find this quite easy to shape with a hammer and a vice. If you need double curvature a hammer and a shot bag. If you can, joggle a 1mm step all round the patch and then offer it up from underneath. On the top you will have a flush joint which will look really neat. This should also help avoid distortion. 

Hi john

Thanks for the info. I've got 1 mm steel in the garage so that's that problem solved . Luckily the rusty section is only single curvature so fabrication shouldn't be to onerous . I'm going to include a drain hole so that this doesn't happen again.

Cheers

Alan

Hi john

Thanks for the info. I've got 1 mm steel in the garage so that's that problem solved . Luckily the rusty section is only single curvature so fabrication shouldn't be to onerous . I'm going to include a drain hole so that this doesn't happen again.

Cheers

Alan

Sorted then Alan. Well done!