Hood Fit Mk1 Spit

Neil Clark

The hood I inherited with the car was scrunched up in the boot on arrival.  The fit didn't matter until now as it was parked up or always below 30 in town but yesterday on the A3 it started to escape at the windscreen rail.  I found that the metal strip inside the leading edge is buckled and twisted in the plastic covering so it was not engaging properly.  With a lot of bending and twisting I got the leading edge to engage last night and the bar at the back engaged correctly in the boot deck slots etc.   But it's not neat at the front, very taut overall and pushing the spring loaded hood frame down as far as the locking tabs, so I've lost a couple of inches of headroom.  Do I just leave it to gradually stretch itself?

Hi Neil,

Can you post a picture to show what you mean by 'not neat at the front'? Is the reduced headroom a problem? I'm 6'4" and I don't have any problems once I've scrunched myself up to get me in. 

It might be that your hood frame isn't sitting far enough down into the B post tubes?

Adrian