Tssc High Torque Starter Tips.

mishmosh

After 30 years  my starter was getting a bit sluggish. Also after a wonderful hotel break at Lake Vrynwy ( go.....its perfect Classic touring country) where my car almost let me down by struggling to start, I decided to upgrade to the clubs Hi Torque. Just finished fitting it. So a few top tips for fitting one to a Herald ( albeit with a MkIV spit engine.....)

1. Strip out the tunnel, You wont get the new one on otherwise.I know you probably have changed the stock item  before , but trust me on this one ! feed the bolts from inside the car , and try and con/ bribe  your son into helping. Otherwise fumble , swear , and moan, until you get the nuts on.Its a pain......

2. Fit the starter power cable to the unit before you fit it. Its a bit of a faff to fit after. 

3.Use the original spacer. Otherwise  you will go back to stage 1....( dont ask) as it will not fully disengage.

4.Enjoy the instant starting. 

For thirty years my car has been a brilliant starter. After having it tuned at Triumfest it ran beautifully but when the weather became colder , often wouldnt start . I suspected the simonbbc ignition. Changed loadsa stuff. Nope.

Lots of fuel pressure. Always needed full choke. 

Tweaked the jets to enrich. Instant start. yet the Choke works as it should. Odd.