Door outer window seals

Just fitting the window seals to my GT6 and because the door is stripped down decided, rather than use a fiddly special tool, to first fit the quarter light, runners and glass. Then, before fitting the rest of the internals, fit the window seals while I can reach through the free apertures with my nimble hands to push the clips on with the glass fully up out of the way. I needed to put the glass in first as it’s firmly attached the drop channel (and didn’t want to disturb this) which will only fit through gap with the seals out. Seems a good plan but found that the new outer seal from Rimmers has two triangular section protrusions which don’t seem to do anything. See photo. They are the same side as the notches for the clips facing in towards the glass. The rear one is no a problem, but the front one fouls the quarter light frame stopping the seal from pushing fully in. Thought I’d check with the wisdom of the forum before cutting them off. Also, seems like the seal might need a bit of trimming around the quarter light frame where it would step out from being flush with the glass. Hope someone can help.

Dave

IMG_0797.jpeg

Yes. That concords with my experience that on the GT6 the outer waist seal clips are best fitted working from the inside of the door with glass either fully up or dropped off its runner sitting in the bottom. Generic waist seal does not usually have the 'lumps'; but if present  the front one does indeed need to be excised in order for the seal to be able to fit between the door skin an q-light frame.

Original waist seals GT6 were made already shaped to fit around the q-light. But since these are no longer made 'shaping' the seal has to be done by hand. A very tricky thing to get looking just right: Needs an absolutely fresh, sharp, blade and ideally a couple of practises on scrap sections if available.

As I recall the front of the strip along the q-light does not have clips but relies on being nipped in place between QL and door aided by a dab of adhesive.