Exhaust advice

cliff.b

My Spitfire has a non standard exhaust with twin tailpipes which has always been too loud and gets annoying on longer journeys.

IMG_20240320_131031_131.thumb.jpg.9495a8c1ab81849dd109f95e24a9755f.jpg

I found the silencer had been cut open and welded, presumably to remove baffles but I am loath to replace it as it is in ok condition and I quite like the twin tailpipe look.

So as an experiment, I removed the tailpipes, inserted a handful of "teased out" wire wool up each orifice and replaced the tailpipes to hold it all in place.

IT now still sounds good and is definitely quieter. Performance doesn't seem to have been affected but the tick over is a bit lower. 

Overall, I'm pleased so far with the outcome but just wondering if it is a good idea. Would greater exhaust back pressure be enough to reduce the tick over and if so, could that lead to any problems?

Interested in any experience or opinions.

Edited by cliff.b
Wrong word

Id be very surprised if it affected tickover as any restriction will have most affect at higher gas flows ie when doing a lot of revs so at idle the back pressure change should be negligible. However keep an eye on the wire wool as it may either disintegrate or bung up over time....

Ive installed a motorcycle adjustable tubular baffle in the end of my Vitesse single stainless silencer and it has reduced noise with no other effects.

16 minutes ago, johny said:

Id be very surprised if it affected tickover as any restriction will have most affect at higher gas flows ie when doing a lot of revs so at idle the back pressure change should be negligible. However keep an eye on the wire wool as it may either disintegrate or bung up over time....

Ive installed a motorcycle adjustable tubular baffle in the end of my Vitesse single stainless silencer and it has reduced noise with no other effects.

Yes, the tick over may be a co-incidence. I tried a couple of those motorcycle Db killer things last year and it was a but quieter but didn't sound nice anymore. And after a while one of them developed a rattle I couldn't get rid of so I removed them.

Unless anyone has dire warnings of problems this may cause I think I will just run it like this for a while and see what happens.