Silly Cheap Spot Welder Question On April Fools Day.

Richeee

Im liable to kill myself or create a defibrillator machine, but as they say theres no silly question although i may be stretching that point.

Is it possible to connect these spot welder pliers to a arc welder and create a mini spotwelder.  ?  They say they will handle power for 2 layers of 1mm.  Think they are meant for spot welding on batteries or similar.

Screenshot_20240401_153103_eBay.thumb.jpg.4131845d07d8c740487790c20cd61e7b.jpg

Screenshot_20240401_153042_eBay.thumb.jpg.9b1c338ba906fbbdbf5a79951363da02.jpg

Thats my April fool question of the day.....

I will now put on my hat and coat and leave the building.

No, not foolish at all ,it is quite  interesting  …

There are folk who have converted a micro wave oven  transformer into a spot  welder; there  used to be a gadget ( Kel Arc? ) that used the power from a 12v car battery  through a sort of solenoid vibrating switch arrangement  that was said to arc weld,  and there are other things who probably share the same common feature - low cost.

For the car body  type use, spot welders are usually expensive - as in very  expensive,  so that would in itself make me rather wary.

They deliver a very high current at 1-2 volts - for a very short time.

I would think that timing  might be a critical feature.

The phraseology and use of English in an advert  perhaps should not be used to predict the quality  of a  product - but  from my experience , it does seem to !

It is very understandable that the   ‘ occasional user’ , can be  tempted to be motivated mainly by cost when choosing equipment  they won’t use very much. 

However, the paradox is that they end  up buying something that  even a very experienced, professional welder would struggle to  get decent results with;   the purchaser quickly gets  disheartened; the  bargain quickly gets relegated to the back of the garage or ends up as ‘hardly used’ on E -bay.

Edited by Unkel Kunkel