Interior /Roof light no longer coming on

Hi All,

last week a few things stopped working on my GT6. All but interior light now work again.

Horn, hazards and interior lights all stopped working on Friday. I did some exploration; fuses all OK, bulbs OK and tried some basic circuitry hunches. Also tried nipping up fastening of horn relay to body as I thought that might be earth. By connecting a live directly to purple which comes off the horn relay the hazards worked and with door open interior flashed! 

I checked behind centra dash as I’d had the temp/fuel earth come loose last week and wondered if I’d knocked something off when reconnecting that earth. 

having fiddled around for some time, the horn started working as did the hazards (without ignition as they should).

but still no interior roof light? 

I removed bulb and tested with   a little battery.

Any ideas on what might be the issue? Could it be something related to the dash mounted switch as I did have that fall out the other day and also one connector had come off the back (now replaced). I wondered if each part of that circuit (doors/hatch and dash switching) are independent or reliant in no faults across all.

or earths on any of those switches - I’ve note seen any earth points.

Edited by Martin V
Error

It looks like the original problem must have been with the supply as thats the common thing so as no blown fuse the most likely is that it lost contact with its holder. Over the years the holders get weak and oxidised and will suddenly break contact until you move the fuse and then all is good again for a while. You can clean them, gently bend them to be tighter and even use a bit of grease.

Now as you have the supply back on you need to see if youve got 12v getting to the interior light. Remove its bulb and use a meter to test each terminal to earth - one should show 12v. If you dont have a meter make up a tester with a 12v bulb and wire, put the wire to earth and then repeat the above test to check the bulb lights. Im guessing you wont have 12v because if the bulb is good any one of the 4 switches should operate it...

• Thanks 1

Thanks Johny, I’ll try testing the holder supply.

if there is no supply I’m at a loss as all purples come off the same fuse and I can see those at the back of the fuse box.

Thanks Johny, I’ll try testing the holder supply.

if there is no supply I’m at a loss as all purples come off the same fuse and I can see those at the back of the fuse box.

Hi Johny, 

Genius! I thought it couldn’t be much and your tip about the fuse holder was spot on.

Supply to interior light was fine and I looked more at the security of fit of each fuse. Basically quite loose!

I’ve given each of the brass clips a tiny pinch with pliers and hey presto the interior light, horn and hazards all work as they should!

Thanks as ever for your tip and quick replies.

• Like 1