Advice about exterior moulding clips for Vitesse Mk 2

des789

My Park Royal Vitesse Estate restoration is moving on well, body going on. I've been sorting through the boxes of moulding etc and of course find that the clips for mounting these are pretty rusty and not very springy. I've been scouring the internet and suppliers sites for replacements and find that I'm not confident that the ones advertised are the same as the originals. Side moulding clips and bonnet clips seem readily available though some others are no longer available (eg the 609891 clips for the rear light side mouldings). Additionally I find I cringe a bit at the thought of squeezing these scratchy metal clips over my nice new paintwork...

So I wonder if anyone has found suitable replacements for these different clips?  Also whether different methods of attachment are good enough - I saw Colin's idea for using mastic for example.

Thanks, Des

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-12 at 07.48.13_3feb6ba6.jpg

Mastic works - my Estate stainless trims are now held on very firmly and that's with just J B Weld Sealant and Adhesive. 

JB.jpeg.28a33c20bfe1868cd08749ba09f7ad76.jpeg

Some of them like the bonnet centre trim and the side trims you have to rivet, so be careful the gun doesn't spring in and scratch the paint, and I always dip the rivet in grease before use to prevent rust - maybe it works, maybe not. The long trims round the lights will press on and again benefit from adhesive, as will the rear horseshoe trims. The ones that worry me are the front bonnet corner trims, expensive if they drop off!

I would advise using the original fixings, new where available or the old ones if not.

If you are worried about the paint and future corrosion why not use a small paint brush and a dab of your chosen rust proofer to protect the bodywork were the clip/trim fixes?

I would recommend Dinitrol 3125 fluid, I used this on the side moulding rivets and all the other trim clips when re-fitting the stainless trims on my Vitesse and it still looks good today 20 years on.

Dynax S50 Rust proofer is also good.

Mastic or silicone type sealants do work too but can get messy.

Gary   

On 18/09/2024 at 15:41, des789 said:

Thanks to both.  I may well be a bit belt and braces with this. I'll also wait to see whether anyone has found sources of the clips that seem unavailable. 

Des

What clips are you after?

I have loads of old ones saved, new ones may be available from TD Fitchett's if you can quote them the part numbers?

Gary

Edited by Gary Flinn