Spitfire carbs

mikeyb

Evening all,  I'm in the last stages of building another Midge.  It's based on a 13/60 Herald. GE series engine. I fitted a 4 branch exhaust and what I was told, a pair of ex-Spitfire 1.25" SU carbs.  This is the same set-up that I had on my first Midge, some 18 years ago.  I've had it running, and driven up and down our short cul-de-sac. Set the carbs up as per the book.  However, it appears to run very rich no matter what I do to the jet height.  Checking Burlen's web site, it appears that the carbs (AUD 517) are for a Spitfire MK IV,ECE.  Does any know what the ECE stands for, and are there any signifcant differences between this and other 1300 MK IVs ? that would mean these carbs are unsuitable.  Thanks folks,  Mike.

Mike.

I had a set of ECE carbs on my Mk2 Vitesse which the previous owner had put on - basically they were incorrect for that application. In addition the car (like yours) would not run properly.

To make them work, if you can, you will need to blank various emission portals - not my bag really.

In addition you will probably find your carbs also have the incorrect needles - hence running rich.

I would dump them and get a set of proper non-ECE units.

Sorry fella.

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks guys, you've both confirmed my thoughts.  However, having spoken to the tech blokes at Burlen (the SU manufacturers) I am going to persevere with theses carbs.  Will post my results after I've rebuilt them......found several faults which may have been the reason for the poor running.  Mike.

Mike.

You have nothing to lose by doing that: an experimental & learning curve at the very least !!

The previous owner of my Vitesse had his Stromberg's supplied by Andrew Turner - who swore blind that they would be suitable for the Vitesse.

When I took the car on, I realised what he had supplied was a set of carbs for an emission controlled GT6 and had tried to balance the discrepancy by supplying different needles. 

No matter how many different options the previous owner & I tried, the carbs just would not have it. 

In the end I sold them to a GT6 ECE owner; I purchased a correct set with the corresponding tag numbers. Had them overhauled by Gower & Lee and they run perfectly.

Good luck & look forward to the post updates.

Regards.

Richard.